Add Drop, Cancel, Withdrawal, and Refunds for Excelsior College Courses and UExcel Examinations
Students registered for Excelsior College courses may add/drop, cancel, or withdraw from them. Refunds will be granted as appropriate, according to the schedule in the Procedures section below.
Students registered for UExcel examinations may switch the registration to a different exam, cancel the registration, or cancel or reschedule the testing appointment. Refunds will be granted as appropriate, according to the schedule in the Procedures section below.
Students registered for the UExcel exam Value Package may not switch their exam registration.
Students registered for UExcel practice examinations will not be granted refunds except in extenuating circumstances, including technical problems attributed to Excelsior College.
Course Add/Drop: Prior to term start through Day 3 of term
- Prior to the start of a term and until 11:59 PM Eastern time on Wednesday of the first week of the term, students who are registered for a course may drop it and add a different course. The added course must be scheduled within the same trimester as the original course.
- Students seeking to add/drop should contact their academic advisor prior to starting the process to obtain approval and ensure that they are selecting a new course that fits into their degree plan. Then, they must log in to their MyExcelsior page, click on My Courses and Exams, select Cancel, Add/Drop and Withdraw, and follow the prompts. The add/drop process closes at 11:59 PM Eastern on Day 3 (first Wednesday) of the term.
- Military students (those serving on Active Duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard) using tuition assistance who wish to add/drop must submit the tuition assistance form for the new course, or in the case of Army students, have approved TA through ArmyIgnitED. Tuition assistance will not be approved by the branch of service after the start of the course.
Course Cancel: Prior to the start of term through Day 15 of term
- Students who are registered for a course may cancel it before the start of the term and within the first 15 calendar days of the start of the term.
- Students seeking to cancel a course must log into MyExcelsior, click on My Courses and Exams, select Cancel, Add/Drop and Withdraw, and follow the prompts.
- Students may register for INL 102 up to 20 days after the term begins. If students register for INL 102 after the term begins, the refund for INL 102 will be calculated using the date of registration as the first day of the course.
- There is no academic penalty for cancelling a course, and no record of it will appear on the MAP or Excelsior College transcript.
- Students who cancel a course will be granted a full or partial refund of tuition and the technology and academic services fees according to the refund schedule below. Refunds are calculated based on the full cost of tuition and fees. Due to federal regulations, tuition and fees for students residing in California, Maryland, and Oregon will be refunded following their state refund guidelines. Students in these states should contact the Student Accounting Office for details.
|Calendar Days||Student Liability||Refund Amount|
|Day 0 – Day 3||0%||100%|
|Day 4 – Day 7||25%||75%|
|Day 8 – Day 15||50%||50%|
- Students who cancel and have used financial aid to pay for tuition and fees must undergo a re-evaluation of their eligibility. This may result in a loss of funds.
- Military students (those serving on Active Duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard) using tuition assistance may cancel a course within the first 15 calendar days with no academic or financial liability, through the online withdrawal process. Excelsior College is required to return unearned tuition assistance funds to the military branch of service in accordance with Department of Defense (DOD) policy. In the case of Army students, notice of the cancellation will be transmitted to the ArmyIgnitED account overnight and the TA invoice will be cancelled.
Course Withdrawal: Day 16 until 7 days before the end of term
- Students who are registered for a course may withdraw from it any time between Day 16 of the term until seven calendar days prior to its end. A withdrawal will result in a grade of W on the MAP and Excelsior College transcript. There is a restriction on the number of W grades students may incur; see Policy 76 Limitations on Multiple W and AW Grades in Excelsior College Courses for details.
- Students seeking to withdraw from a course must log into MyExcelsior, click on My Courses and Exams, select Cancel, Add/Drop and Withdraw, and follow the prompts. There will be no refund of tuition/fees upon withdrawal.
- Students who withdraw and have used financial aid to pay tuition and fees must undergo a re-evaluation of their eligibility. This may result in a loss of funds.
- Military students (those serving on Active Duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard) who withdraw from courses will incur full liability for them.
- Department of Defense (DOD) regulations require Excelsior College to return unearned tuition assistance funds to the military branch of service based on how much of the course was completed. Students using military TA who withdraw from a course may owe a portion of the tuition to Excelsior College and a portion to the military branch. See Policy 143 Return of Unearned Tuition Assistance Funds for additional information.
- Military students seeking a withdrawal due to deployment should see Policy 132 Excelsior College Military Deployment Policy.
UExcel Exam Switch
- Students registered for a UExcel examination may switch their registration to another exam. To do so, students must contact Excelsior College through the MyExcelsior Message Center or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Examination candidates may switch exam registrations at any point before or during their eligibility window.
UExcel Exam Switch
- Students may cancel an exam registration at any point before or during their eligibility window. If they have a scheduled examination appointment with Pearson VUE, they must cancel the appointment before cancelling the exam registration. Students may cancel examination appointments online at www.pearsonvue.com/excelsior or by phone to the Pearson VUE Call Center at 888-926-9488. Advance notice requirements vary between method of contact as follows:
- Students who cancel an exam appointment online must do so by 7 PM Central time at least one business day (a minimum of 24 hours) in advance of the scheduled appointment time.
- Students who cancel an exam appointment by phone must do so at least 8 calendar days prior to the scheduled appointment, or they will incur a fee.
- After cancelling an exam appointment, students must contact Excelsior College to cancel their exam registration and request a refund, either online through the MyExcelsior Message Center or by email at email@example.com. The cancellation request must include the student’s name, last four digits of their Social Security number or Excelsior College student identification number, and the title of the exam being cancelled. The cancellation request must be received by the end date of their test eligibility window as indicated in the Authorization to Test (ATT) letter.
- Exam fees will be refunded when examinations are cancelled in a timely manner and requested within the eligibility window as indicated in the Authorization to Test (ATT) letter and as described above. Refunds will be issued according to the chart below:
|Calendar Days||Student Liability||Refund Amount|
|Prior to eligibility window start||0%||100%|
|Day 0 – Day 15||0%||100%|
|Day 16- end of eligibility window||50%||50%|
- Students who have cancelled an exam will not be permitted to place money on their account in lieu of a 50% refund within the eligibility window.
- Students who do not comply with Excelsior College and/or Pearson VUE registration, cancellation, and rescheduling procedures will forfeit payment. In such cases students will be required to re-register and pay all fees again if they want to take the exam.
UExcel Examination Reschedule
- Students registered for a UExcel exam who wish to reschedule it within the same term testing window must contact Pearson VUE online at www.pearsonvue.com/excelsior or by phone to the Pearson VUE Call Center at 888-926-9488, at least 24 hours before their examination appointment to request the change.
- Students registered for a UExcel exam who wish to reschedule it outside the term testing window should see Policy 133 Courses and Examinations Extension Policy.