Courses and Nursing Theory Conference Examinations Extension Policy
Statement of Policy
Excelsior College recognizes that students may encounter extraordinary circumstances that make it difficult to complete coursework within the time frame of a course term. Students are eligible to request a course extension if they have successfully completed a minimum of 50% of the coursework and request the extension no less than 7 calendar days before the end of the course term.
- Extensions for an 8-week course should not exceed 30 calendar days from the end of the term.
- Extensions for a 15-week course should not exceed 60 calendar days from the end of the term.
- Course extensions and their duration are at the discretion of the instructor.
- Course extensions for INL 102 Information Literacy should be submitted to SLAfirstname.lastname@example.org. These requests must include an explanation of extraordinary circumstances and appropriate documentation. Since there is no instructor of record for this course, these requests will be reviewed at the discretion of the Dean/designee of the School of Liberal Arts.
Nursing Theory Conference Examinations (NTCX)
Excelsior College recognizes that students may encounter extraordinary circumstances that make it difficult to complete a Nursing Theory Conference Examination (NTCX) within the timeframe of the trimester.
Students are eligible to request an extension for the nursing theory conference if they have successfully completed a minimum of 50% of the work and the request is made before the end of the sixth week of the conference. Extensions can be granted up to 30 calendar days. NTCX extensions and their duration are at the discretion of the instructor.
- Extension for the conference does not extend the examination window.
- Students are eligible to request an extension to the examination window to test. Requests must be submitted prior to the end of the term. Examination extensions that are approved will be granted for 30 calendar days.
The end date of the extension will be entered into SIS. If a letter grade is not converted by the last day of the extension, the grade of I will convert to a grade of F.
Students with 2 or more I grades in Excelsior College courses orNTCX will not be allowed to register for any additional Excelsior College courses (See Grades Awarded Policy and Accepted at Excelsior College).
Students with a grade of I in any courses or NTCX will not be permitted to graduate until a final letter grade has been received.
Students requesting an extension for a military deployment should refer to the Military Deployment Policy.
- Must meet eligibility requirements outlined above.
- Students must request a course/NTCX extension from the instructor through My Messages within the course/NTCX.
- If requested, students must provide documentation to support the extraordinary circumstances.
- If an extension is granted, it is the student’s responsibility to complete all coursework prior to the end date of the course/NTCX extension or in accordance with due dates outlined by the instructor. Late penalties may apply.
- Upon receipt of a course/NTCX extension request, instructors will evaluate the circumstances to determine if an extension is warranted.
- If an extension is granted, the instructor must enter an “I” grade in the final grade column of the gradebook and email ORR@excelsior.edu with the following information:
- Course number and title
- Course term
- Name of student
- End date of extension
The end date should not exceed the limits set above for 8- and 15-week courses and NTCX.
- Once the course/NTCX extension has expired, instructors must submit the final grade to ORR@excelsior.edu within 5 calendar days.
- It is strongly advised that instructors set a schedule for submission of missing work throughout the extension. Late penalties may apply if due dates are not met.
- Exam extension can be granted even if the student has made an appointment to test with the College’s designated testing center. The student will be notified by Test Administration to cancel the appointment to enable an updated eligibility end date to be forwarded to the College’s designated testing center. The student will then be able to schedule new appointment to test within the extended time frame.
- Once the student receives authorization to test and schedules the appointment with the College’s designated testing center, Excelsior cannot cancel the examination appointment. Only the student can cancel at that time.
Office of the Registrar
- Once notified by an instructor of a course/NTCX extension, the Office of the Registrar will enter a grade of I in the student’s record and confirm by email to the instructor that the request was received and processed.
- The end date of the extension will be entered into SIS. If a letter grade is not converted by the last day of the extension, the grade of I will convert to a grade of F.