Excelsior College® Examinations & UExcel® Exam Refunds & Extensions
Statement of Policy
Students have the right to request refunds or extensions for Excelsior College Examinations and UExcel Exams as outlined within A User’s Guide: Using Examinations to Accomplish Individual Goals (PDF).
Refunds are available when examinations are cancelled in a timely manner and requested within the term date as indicated in the Authorization to Test (ATT) letter.
Refunds will be issued according to the chart below:
|Calendar Days||Student Liability||Refund Amount|
|Prior to Term Start Date||0%||100%|
|16-Term End Date||50%||50%|
If students register after the term begins, the refund will be calculated using the date of registration as the first day of the exam.
The criteria for cancelling an examination in a timely manner are as follows:
Students must cancel a scheduled examination appointment with Pearson VUE before requesting a refund. Students may go to the Pearson VUE Web site or contact the Pearson VUE Call Center at 888-926-9488 to cancel. Advance notice requirements vary between the website and Call Center as follows:
- Any student who cancels an exam appointment through the Pearson VUE Web scheduler must do so by 7:00 pm Central Time at least one business day (a minimum of 24 hours) in advance of their scheduled appointment time.
- Any student who cancels an exam appointment via the Pearson VUE Candidate Call Center must do so at least 7 calendar days before the date of the exam appointment. A Call Center fee may apply to the cancellation.
- After a student cancels an exam, the student must contact Excelsior College in writing to request a refund. The request may be made online through their MyExcelsior message center or by signed letter setting forth the student’s name, last four digits of their Social Security number, or Excelsior College student identification number, and the title of the exam being canceled. This will complete the process for a partial examination fee refund. The student’s online or written cancellation request must be postmarked no later than 7 calendar days after the last day of their test eligibility window as indicated in the Authorization To Test (ATT) letter.
- A student who has cancelled an exam(s) will not be permitted to place money on account, in lieu of a 50% refund within the six-month eligibility time frame.
- Examination candidates will not be allowed to switch exams after the end of their eligibility window.
- Examination candidates who are registered for an exam that the student no longer needs to meet their Excelsior College degree requirement may request a 100% refund. The student may request to substitute another exam provided that the student’s Excelsior College academic advisor verifies that the student no longer needs the exam to meet the student’s degree requirements, or request to have 100% of the exam fee used toward another administrative fee owed.
Exceptions to Excelsior College Examination Refund Policy (No Refund Given):
- If a student fails to arrive for their appointment, or fails to reschedule or cancel without giving 3 business days’ notice (a minimum of 72 hours prior to the scheduled test time), the student will forfeit the examination fee. The student will be required to re-register and pay the examination fee again to reschedule.
- If a student does not take the examination for which they are registered during the term, or if the student does not cancel or reschedule their exam per appropriate policy prior to the scheduled appointment time at the Pearson VUE Testing Center, or if the student does not request a 50% refund as outlined above, the student’s entire examination fee will be forfeited.
- If an examination was cancelled and the student requests a refund more than 7 days after the eligibility expiration date, the money will not be refunded to the student.
- No examination fee refund will be granted to a student found to have violated Excelsior’s Student Rights and Responsibilities or Academic Honesty policies.
Excelsior College and UExcel Practice Exam Refunds
No refunds will be processed for ECE practice exams except in extenuating circumstances such as:
- Technical problems attributed to Excelsior College
- Student no longer needs to take corresponding credit-bearing exam (student must not have utilized the practice exam)
Requests should be received through the student’s MyExcelsior message center (login requird) or via fax addressed to Test Administration at 518-464-8777 for review and appropriate decision.
Extensions to Eligibility to Test Windows
UExcel and Excelsior College Examinations Extensions
An extension to the term may be considered.
- The test taker must submit a written request through their MyExcelsior Message Center (login required) or by a signed letter faxed to Test Administration at 518-464-8777, and must also provide documentation supporting the request for an extension.
- The request should be reviewed with the Director of Testing Services who may also seek the opinion of the Excelsior College Testing Services leadership.
- If an extension is approved, it must be for a limited time only, i.e. 30 days.
- The test taker’s exam eligibility expiration date will be adjusted by a member of the Test Administration staff and uploaded to Pearson VUE.
- Weather related issues are handled on a case-by-case basis by the Test Administration group of the Center for Educational Measurement.
Note: Generally, if the student’s scheduled test center closes due to inclement weather, a Pearson VUE Call Center representative will try to contact student to reschedule the exam appointment for another date within their six-month test window. Student may also call Pearson VUE toll free at 888-926-9488 to reschedule an appointment themselves. If the test center remains open and the student decides not to attend, the examination fee would be forfeited.
In cases where weather does not warrant safe travel, students can notify Test Administration via MyExcelsior Message Center (login required) or via fax to Test Administration at 518-464-8777, including documentation regarding weather conditions. Test Administration Office will review the case to determine if the student qualifies for a $75 reduced reschedule fee for the missed appointment.
UExcel and Excelsior College Practice Exam Extensions
Extensions to the 90-day eligibility window for taking a practice exam will be granted only when technical problems attributed to Excelsior College caused an individual not to be able to take the practice test or review exam results.