An Admissions Counselor
Can Help You:
Finish your degree sooner | Make college affordable | Create a plan to achieve goals
Fill out our 3-Step form to get started
Prepare for Cybersecurity Jobs and Industry Certification with a BS in Cybersecurity
Aligned with the academic requirements for cybersecurity set by the National Security Agency (NSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS), this fully online Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity program provides you with the ability to enhance your technical knowledge and skills in cybersecurity. The program is designed to prepare you for cybersecurity-related jobs in the U.S. Cyber Command, the NSA’s signal intelligence operations, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, law enforcement agencies, and corporate environments.
As Excelsior is a Center for Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD), the program supports the belief of the NSA that cybersecurity should be integrated in all aspects of a person’s career. The degree will prepare the student to take several industry certification exams such as CISP, CEH, Security+, Network+, CHFI, SSCP, and ESCP.
Learn more about the National Cybersecurity Institute at Excelsior University, an academic and research center dedicated to assisting government, industry, military, and academic sectors meet the challenges in cybersecurity policy, technology, and education.
General, Cyber Operations
Cybersecurity jobs can command a $6,500 premium over other IT jobs (Source: digg.com)
Employment of information security professionals is projected to grow 26% by 2026 (Source: BLS)
91% of the net increase in jobs held by those at least 25 years old are filled by those with at least a bachelor’s degree (Source: marketwatch.com)
Online BS in Cybersecurity Program Details
120 credits are required for the Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity.
- Cornerstone Course
- Written English Requirement
- Additional credits
- Humanities Electives
- Social Sciences/History
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Natural science
- Discrete Math
- Arts and Sciences Electives
Core Cybersecurity Courses
- Fundamentals of Programming
- Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Governance, Legal and Compliance
- Cybersecurity Defense in Depth
- Cyber Attacks and Defense
- Security-Focused Risk Management
- Data Communications and Networking
- Computer Operations and Operating Systems
- Overview of Computer Security
- Network and Application Security
- Computer Forensics
- System Administration
This capstone course examines computer security technologies and principles, including access control, authentication, external attacks, software security, security assessment and testing, and legal issues in cybersecurity. Students complete a research project that will expose students to real-life scenarios in cybersecurity.
Concentrations (Choose One):
This customizable concentration provides you with the flexibility to design an area of specialization to meet ever-changing job demands and build upon your current achievements. Choose from approved technical electives to meet the degree requirements.
The Cyber Operations concentration gives you the opportunity to specialize your skills on the front line of cybersecurity. The courses prepare you to handle cyber incidents and respond to incidents as part of a cyber team. Learn to identify fundamental security design principles that lead to system vulnerabilities, conduct exploits as part of an offensive cyber operation, and apply fundamental security design principles during system design, development, and implementation to minimize vulnerabilities.
- Introduction to Homeland Security
- Reverse Engineering
- Secure Software Development
- Large-scale Cybercrime and Terrorism
- INL 102 Information Literacy
- Additional electives to fulfill the requirement
- Apply general and discipline-specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze and solve problems in the cyber technology discipline.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain technically current with, and adaptive to, changing technologies through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional/industrial environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional/industrial environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business, industry, and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in the cyber technology field.
Learn more about this program’s student outcomes, enrollment, and graduation data.
View additional details about programs and courses:Download the Undergraduate Studies Catalog
Common Careers with an
Online BS in Cybersecurity
- Cyber Compliance Analyst
- Cyber Network Operations Planner
- Cyber Systems Analyst
- Cyber Systems and Operations Engineer
- Cyber Threat Management Systems Administrator
- Incident Response Analyst
Explore Common Careers
Visualize, interpret, and report data findings.Average Yearly Salary:
Cyber compliance Analyst
Analyze management and technical controls to ensure that specific security and compliance requirements are met.Average Yearly Salary:
Incident Response analyst
Fight the invisible fight against cyber attacksAverage Yearly Salary:
Cyber Systems Analyst
Be responsible for the analysis and development of the integration, testing, operations, and maintenance of systems security.Average Yearly Salary:
Information Systems Auditor
Audit information systems, platforms, and operating procedures in accordance with established corporate standards for efficiency, accuracy and security.Average Yearly Salary:
Identify threats and vulnerabilities in systems and software, then develop and implement high-tech solutions to defend against hacking, malware and ransomware, insider threats and all types of cybercrime.Average Yearly Salary:
Work as a team, using a network of sensors, monitoring equipment, and security tools to stop potential cyberattacks.Average Yearly Salary:
Security Operations Engineer
Make sure data, personal information, and software are protected against all cyber threats and work to prevent those threats from becoming incidents.Average Yearly Salary:
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Instructional Faculty, Excelsior University
Recognitions & Accreditations
National Center of Academic Excellence
The National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security designated Excelsior as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education for its Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity program.
Excelsior University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 1007 North Orange Street, 4th Floor, MB #166, Wilmington, DE 19801 (267-284-5011) www.msche.org. The MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
Accreditation Granted: 1977
Last Reaffirmation: 2022
Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2029-2030
All of Excelsior University’s academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.