Bachelors Degrees | Business Degree – Operations Management | Online - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Business Programs
Bachelor of Science in Business (Operations Management) w/ CBE
Bachelor's in Business (Operations Management)
Operations management professionals make organizations more productive by designing streamlined facilities, processes, and schedules.
Likewise, Excelsior College has been helping adult students streamline their paths to a business bachelor's degree for more than 40 years.
The competency-based Bachelor of Science in Business (Operations Management) program provides you with an efficient, innovative way to complete your degree sooner, more affordably, and more conveniently than traditional operations management degree programs.
Competency-based education (CBE) at Excelsior allows you to earn your BS in Business through a personalized program of study that combines course-based learning, independent study, and earned external credits.
- Course-based learning refers to Excelsior's 8 or 15-week online courses in operations management and other subjects that are directly informed by current trends in workforce development.
- Independent study options help you pursue self-paced learning with study guides and practice tests before earning credit by exam. You can also simply test out of subjects you've already mastered.
- Earned external credits are accrued through coursework completed at other institutions, military experience, college-level exams like CLEP and DSST, learning assessment, and workforce training and professional certifications completed before and/or during your enrollment.
Meet your degree requirements in whatever combination of options works best for you, then take the capstone in which your business and operations management skills are evaluated through a series of projects, simulations, and summative exam.
Designed in alignment with industry trends, this online business degree with operations management focus is comparable to a traditional operations management degree program, and will help you advance in your career.
Earn a business degree that's accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education in a way that fits with your life, your budget, and your career goals.
- Take 8 or 15-week online operations management classes.
- Receive maximum credit for your previous college coursework.
- Receive academic credit for your prior military training and professional experience.
- Enjoy budget-friendly tuition and fees that help you keep your costs under control.
Get the Skills You'll Need in Your Operations Management Career
Excelsior's operations management classes were developed with direct input from leaders in the industry. You'll work with experienced faculty while acquiring knowledge that translates directly into the workplace. Excelsior's operations management concentration can help you compete more successfully on the job market and improve your earning potential.
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
BS in Business Credit Requirements
BS in Business Credit Requirements
120 credits required. 60 in the arts and sciences, 51 in the business component (to include a minimum of 21 at the upper level of which 9 must be in the concentration), and 9 in the additional credit component (to include the 1-credit Information Literacy requirement).
Courses classified as upper level must be junior-senior level (300 - 400) and can be classified as a business core, concentration, and/or business elective course.
Students completing the Bachelor in Science in Business degree program will have a foundational knowledge of business administration and strategic management, including competency in the following areas:
- Economics - Apply micro and macroeconomic concepts and theories to explain the relationship between legal, social, and economic interests of individuals and society.
- Accounting - Apply basic accounting concepts and principles to the analysis and interpretation of corporate financial statements.
- Marketing - Explain how modern marketing concepts and theories support and influence business strategies.
- Finance - Utilize financial management concepts and tools to make informed business decisions.
- Management - Apply the major concepts and theories of management and leadership in order to develop business strategies in a real-world context.
- Quantitative Analysis - Utilize quantitative research, statistics, and data analysis to analyze business data, support business decisions, and solve problems.
- Global - Analyze the opportunities and risks associated with doing business in a global environment.
- Ethics - Justify decisions by evaluating the social, ethical, and legal implications for business organizations.
- Communication - Effectively communicate business concepts orally and in writing to multiple audiences.
- Computer Skills - Utilize business computer applications and information technologies to organize and interpret business data and information.
- Teamwork/Cultural Diversity - Work effectively and collaboratively on diverse teams to complete projects on real-world scenarios.
- Critical Thinking - Employ critical thinking skills to interpret and analyze competing arguments and perspectives in a business environment.
Review the student learning outcomes
We expect that as an Excelsior College baccalaureate business graduate you will be able to:
- Apply discipline-specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze, and solve business problems.
- Demonstrate a desire and commitment to remain current with and adaptive to changing business conditions through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent and critical thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional business environment.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, in a professional business environment.
- Behave ethically and professionally in business and society.
- Demonstrate and utilize leadership principles in one’s chosen career field.
BSB Operations Management Concentration Outcomes
Operations Management Concentration Objectives
As an Excelsior College baccalaureate-level business graduate with a concentration in Operations Management, you will be able to:
- Describe inventory control; facilities planning and location; and the warehousing, industrial packaging, and distribution of finished goods in terms of reducing costs, maximizing profits, and increasing customer service satisfaction.
- Integrate quantitative methods to solve business and management problems and use data for decision-making processes.
- Evaluate the design and implementation of supply chain systems and the impact on ethical issues.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.
Specialized Business Accreditation: Intro
SPECIALIZED ACCREDITATION for Business Degrees
Excelsior College has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), 11374 Strang Line Rd., Lenexa, KS 66215; 913-631-3009; www.iacbe.org. The IACBE is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).