Public Health-dev - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study: Health Sciences
Masters of Science in Health Sciences (Public Health)
Master's in Health Sciences (Public Health)
In response to current workforce demand for public health professionals, Excelsior College offers a Master of Science in Health Sciences (Public Health specialization). This specialization provides students the opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills in the multi-disciplinary field of public health.
Demand for a focus in public health is higher than ever and now it's easier than ever to specialize in public health at the graduate level, thanks to Excelsior.
- Protect the health of entire populations
- Prevent problems from happening and recurring
- Promote health-related programs and policies
Gaining this foundation from courses such as, Critical Issues in Public Health; Program Development and Evaluation for Public Health; Behavioral Health; Epidemiology and Vulnerable Populations, students will be better aligned to seek positions in:
- Health Administration
- Health Education
- Health Policy
- Community Health
An Online Masters Degree for Working Adults
Excelsior designed this online master's degree with a specialization in public health for adult students who have busy lives and a lot of real-world experience. You'll enjoy:
- Generous credit-transfer policies that allow for up to 50% of your previous graduate course work to be applied.
- Flexible 8-week online courses that allow you to work while you earn your degree.
- Personalized academic support from advisors who know you by name.
- Outstanding faculty who are leaders in their field.
- Affordable tuition and fees competitive with public institutions, along with flexible-payment options, financial aid, and other forms of support.
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
MS in Health Sciences Public Health Credit Requirements
MS in Health Sciences (Public Health) Credit Requirements
The Master of Science in Health Sciences program is a 36 credit degree consisting of an 18 credit core, a 15 credit specialization, and a three credit capstone course. The courses comprising the public health specialization are:
- PBH 603: Behavioral Health and Social Environment
- PBH 604: Introduction to Epidemiology
- PBH 609: Critical Issues in Public Health
- PBH 613: Program Planning and Evaluation for Public Health
- PBH 647: Vulnerable Populations
Students who complete a Public Health specialization will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in using multiple strategies of communication to convey complex thoughts and ideas.
- Use research findings to explain and direct the resolution of practice related issues and challenges.
- Apply leadership skills in managing people and programs.
- Analyze issues and challenges, including new and emerging trends.
- Use knowledge of health care policy and delivery systems to guide professional practice.
- Implement specialized knowledge and skills in an advanced practice role.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.