Bachelors Degrees | Information Technology, IT | Information Technology without Concentration - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Technology Programs
Program: Technology: BS in Information Technology (Without Concentration)
Bachelor's in Information Technology Degree
Information technology forms the backbone of U.S. business, so skilled IT professionals are always in demand. Position yourself for the best jobs with an online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology from Excelsior College.
A national leader in adult education and distance learning since 1971, Excelsior offers a career-building online IT degree specifically designed for working adults. We eliminate distractions and obstacles so you can complete your online IT degree in the shortest possible time, with the greatest flexibility and convenience.
Here's how it works:
- You'll take online IT classes on whatever schedule works for you, enabling you to keep up with work and family responsibilities while you're in school.
- You'll save money on tuition and fees, thanks to Excelsior's budget-friendly rates and flexible payment plans.
- You'll need fewer courses to complete the information technology degree at Excelsior, because we'll award maximum transfer credit for college work you've completed at other accredited colleges.
- You'll get academic credit for military training or job experience that satisfies our bachelor's of information technology degree requirements.
- You'll get one-on-one support from Excelsior's team of award-winning academic advisors.
A Flexible, Affordable Path to an Information Technology Degree
Our IT bachelor's degree program meets or exceeds the same academic standards that govern IT degree programs at traditional colleges. You'll study with outstanding faculty drawn from some of the nation's leading IT degree programs, while gaining job-ready skills and expertise in subjects such as:
- Computer security
- Object-oriented programming
- Networking and communications
- Software analysis and design
- Project management
You can choose the general information technology degree option, or explore our concentrations in Cybersecurity, Information Security, and Network Management.
No matter what option you choose, you'll earn an IT bachelor's degree that employers value and co-workers respect. Improve your earning power and status with an online IT degree from Excelsior College.
Accreditation: Technology: ABET: Computing Accreditation Commission
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. ABET is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
Program: Technology: BS in Information Technology Degree Requirements
BS in Information Technology Degree Requirements
Minimum of 120 credits: 60 in arts and sciences, 48 in the technology component, and 12 in free electives including information literacy.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of computing and mathematics for problem solving in the field of information technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze user needs to define and create appropriate computing requirements and solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively select, evaluate, and integrate information technologies based solutions in a user environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to participate effectively in groups or team projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand professional, ethical, and social responsibilities, including the impacts of culture, diversity, and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communicating technical information in formal reports, documentation, and presentations to users and information technology professionals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze the impacts of information technologies and computing on individuals, organizations, society, and the global community.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and apply current and emerging technologies and tools for information technologies solutions.
- Demonstrate expertise in the core information technologies, including web technologies, database management and security, object-oriented programming, computer architecture, systems architecture, operating systems, networking, and system administration.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze computing and information security requirements and risks, and apply the appropriate tools and techniques to protect organizational data assets in an ethically responsible manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply best practices and standards for information technology applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in the creation and execution of an effective project plan.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development and to continue to engage in lifelong learning.
Review more student learning outcomes
As an Excelsior College bachelor's level information technology graduate, within a few years of graduation, you are expected to:
- Apply general and discipline specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze and solve problems in the information technology discipline.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain technically current with, and adaptive to, changing technologies through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional/industrial environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional/industrial environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business, industry, and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in the information technology field.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.