Associate Requirements - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Admissions
Nursing Admiss Reqs: ADN Program
Associate in Nursing Application Requirements
Important information regarding the Associate Degree in Nursing Program
- A student's possession of an LPN, Paramedic, or Military Corpsman credential does not guarantee success in Excelsior's Associate Degree in nursing program.
- All applicants to the School of Nursing are expected to review the School of Nursing Catalog prior to enrolling in a degree program.
- Students enrolled in Excelsior's Associate Degree in nursing program will be assigned to a primary academic advisor but may also work with different members of the academic advisement team during their enrollment.
- Students will be responsible for paying an annual fee for each year they continue in the Associate Degree in nursing program.
- A student's success or failure in completing program requirements (including theory and other examinations) will affect his or her progress through the Associate Degree in nursing program.
- The wait time to test at each CPNE® site varies depending on application volume at each site.
- Students are responsible for the CPNE application fee, and travel and lodging costs for each administration of the CPNE.
- Students who fail the CPNE will be required to retake all portions of a subsequent examination and are responsible for all fees associated with retaking the CPNE.
- During the CPNE, Excelsior will seek to provide each student with a pediatric patient; however, an adult patient may be substituted if no pediatric patient is available.
- Pass rates for the CPNE and National Council Licensure Examination-RN (NCLEX-RN®) are updated and available on the Excelsior College web site.
- Because each institution of higher education maintains its own credit transfer policy, credits earned in Excelsior's Associate Degree in nursing program may or may not be transferable to other institutions.
You're eligible to apply for admission to the associate programs in nursing if you:
- Hold a practical/vocational nurse, paramedic license, or are in a certain classification of active duty military, National Guard, or Reserves within a specific military occupation that is equivalent to scope of practice to LPN/LVN or paramedic. Learn more.
- Are employed in a setting that requires direct patient care, under the supervision of someone with a health care credential who evaluates your clinical practice.
- Completed 200 or more hours of employment in this setting within the calendar year prior to the date you submit your Verification of Health Care Experience.
TEAS admission requirement block with link to detail page
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Requirement
Before you apply, you must complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and have achieved the minimum TEAS scores outlined below. Your TEAS score report from ATI must be completed within one year prior to the date of your application.
The Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) TEAS examination measures basic essential skills in reading, mathematics, science, English, and language usage. Test takers are allowed a total of 209 minutes overall for the exam. The exam is composed of four sections and 170 multiple choice questions:
- Reading: 64 minutes
- Mathematics: 54 minutes
- Science: 63 minutes
- English: 28 minutes
There are many ways to prepare for the TEAS. Excelsior College suggests that students use materials available from ATI, the developers and providers of the TEAS exam.
Minimum Required Scores
Earn the minimum required score, as established by Excelsior's' School of Nursing. The scores noted below must be earned in a single attempt of the TEAS:
- Reading: 69%
- Mathematics: 63.3%
- Science: 45.8%
- English: 60%
Acceptance of Scores
When you register for the TEAS you must provide ATI with the following in order to match your TEAS transcript with your Excelsior College student record*:
- Your date of birth (MM/DD)
- The same email address you provided to Excelsior College
*Your TEAS will not be accepted without these two forms of identification.
TEAS scores are only valid if taken no more than one year prior to the date of your application. In addition, you may only test twice in a calendar year (January-December). Please read these instructions:
- How to create an account with ATI
- How to register for the TEAS
- How to purchase a transcript from ATI
We encourage you to begin gathering the documentation above, and to begin preparing to take the TEAS.
Your application should not be submitted to Excelsior College until you have achieved the required admission scores on the TEAS.
If you have any questions, please contact our admissions office staff at 888-647-2388, ext. 2.
Where can I take the test?
- The TEAS is an in-person test. Visit ATI's website to find a testing location near you.
Can I practice for the TEAS?
- Yes, if you think you are ready for the TEAS, but want to practice first, visit ATI's website for more information.
What if I'm not ready to take the TEAS?
- Learn more about a different path to TEAS preparation.
Nursing Admiss Reqs: ADN Part 2 Requirements
Health Care Experience Verification
When you apply, you need to submit a completed Verification of Health Care Experience Form (VHCE). This form requires a signature from your supervisor (the person with a health care credential who evaluates your clinical practice).
You can submit this form with your online application or you can scan and send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 518-464-8833. You must submit it within 3 months after the date your supervisor signs it, and a new form will be required before entering phase three of the program.
Copy of Health Care License
In addition, you'll need to submit a copy of your current health care license or certification to verify your professional status in an appropriate health care profession.
Acknowledgment of State Board Requirements
If you reside in a state with additional nursing licensure requirements, you also must submit a signed Pre-Admission State Board form.
Check if your state falls into this category below. If it does, complete the form for your state to acknowledge you understand the additional requirements for where you currently reside and/or where you plan to apply for RN licensure. Then scan and send it by email to email@example.com or by fax to 518-464-8833. Learn more.
Residents of Washington State
We are not accepting applicants to the associate, bachelor's, or RN to MS nursing degree programs who reside in the state of Washington.
Nursing Apply Link
Ready to Apply?
During the admissions process you'll create a MyExcelsior account if you don't already have one. The application fee is $50.
The nursing application also requires you to watch a short video and submit a self-assessment. You can save your work and go back to it later if you need to.
Apply Button - Start Your Application
get help from admissions
Your admissions counselor will help you select the right program and complete the admissions process.