Applying For Financial Aid
Steps in Financial Aid and Course Registration Process:
- Complete and submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov at least 4 weeks before the course registration window opens. The Excelsior College FAFSA code is 014251.
- Contact your academic advisor for course approval.
- An email will be sent to the address you provided on the FAFSA with information regarding your financial aid eligibility. Be sure to monitor and promptly respond to requests for information and your financial aid award package.
- Accept/decline your awards, which assumes undergraduate students will take at least 6 semester credits each trimester and graduate students will take at least 3 semester credits each trimester. You will need to notify the financial aid office if you plan to register for more or less credits—this could affect the value of your awards.
- Register for your course(s) via MyExcelsior (or Go Army Ed for Army students) and be sure to visit the our bookstore to see what materials are required for your course.
- If you need to make a change to your Financial Aid awards, please complete a Status Change Form. The Status Change Form link will take you to the Online Financial Aid System. Log in and choose the Student Status Change Form page from the Menu at the top left corner of the screen.
- Payment is required at the time of course registration, (either with your financial aid funding, or out of pocket). If your aid is not accepted and confirmed by the time you must register, you may set up a course payment plan and make payment(s) out of pocket in order to secure your seat in the course(s). Once your financial aid eligibility is determined, and if a voucher is available, the bursar’s office can defer that payment plan at your request to a later date. This will allow time for your financial aid to pay the balance due. If for some reason your financial aid does not disburse or is canceled, your payment plan will resume.
For other helpful resources and FAQs, visit our Financial Aid Support Center.
VA Education Benefits
Apply for VA education benefits online and list Excelsior as the parent school. If you did not indicate your benefits on your application, send this information to our Financial Aid/Veteran Affairs office through the MyExcelsior message center (select topic “VA Benefits”).
Prior to enrollment, be sure to fax your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for Post-9/11 benefits to Excelsior College at 518-464-8660 or email a copy to email@example.com. If you have not yet received your COE, fax your unofficial DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty to get started.