New York State Financial Aid
Several programs are available to New York State residents who are earning credit from a New York State-based school. You must have been a resident for at least 12 months prior to the award year to be eligible for New York State financial aid.
Students must be enrolled in a degree program no later than January 15 to be reviewed for the spring term, or no later than July 15 to be reviewed for the fall term.
Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
Who is eligible: New York State residents enrolled in an Excelsior College degree program and taking 3 to 11 credits through New York State institutions.
Maximum award: $1,000 per term or the cost of tuition, whichever is less. APTS can not be applied to costs other than tuition.
After reading the Instructions and Qualifications below, if you are eligible please let us know via your Message Center and we will send you instructions how to complete and upload the application via your Net Partner Account.
Students must notify the financial aid office of their interest in APTS no later than November 1 for the Fall term, or no later than May 1 for the Spring term.
- Instructions and Qualifications for Preparing an Application for Aid for Part-Time Study
- APTS Handbook
Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance (VVTA) and Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Assistance (PGVTA)
Who is Eligible:
- VVTA: Students must reside in New York State and must meet specific criteria including having served in the U.S. armed forces in Indochina between December 22, 1961, and May 7, 1975.
- PGVTA: Students must reside in New York State and meet certain specific criteria. This includes having served in the hostilities that occurred in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990, to the end of such hostilities as evidenced by receipt of the Southwest Asia Service Medal, which was awarded from August 2, 1990, to November 30, 1995.
Recipients for both programs must have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
Costs covered: These awards fund tuition only, for either part-time or full-time study. VVTA and PGVTA are grant programs, and awards do not have to be repaid.
To receive funds: VVTA and PGVTA monies are awarded at the end of the term. Official transcripts must be received before awards will be certified.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Part-Time Tuition Assistance Program
Who is eligible: TAP is for New York State residents with a full-time credit load, defined as successfully completing at least 12 credits per term, and who satisfy TAP financial need criteria. To be eligible for TAP, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- Be a legal resident of New York State for at least one year prior to the start of the term.
- Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department.
- Study at an approved postsecondary institution in New York State (NYS).
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing with at least a “C” average as of the 4th semester payment.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student taking 12 or more credits applicable toward your degree program per semester to receive TAP*.
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year.
- Not be in default on any state or federal student loans and not be in default on any repayment of State awards.
- Meet good academic standing requirements.
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year.
- Be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award.
- Meet income requirements.
*Credit-bearing courses in the student’s minimum full-time course load (12 semester hours or the equivalent) must consist of courses applicable to the student’s program of study as a general education requirement, major requirement, or elective.
Maximum award: $5,165. TAP awards do not have to be repaid.
How to apply: Apply for TAP Now on the HESC website for full instructions.
Additional requirements: New York State’s Commissioner’s Regulations pursuant to Chapter II § 145-2.8 (b) require all students who meet the TAP requirements and are eligible for a TAP award to complete a Study Plan with Excelsior College. Please complete a New York State TAP Study Plan and fax it to Excelsior College at 518-464-8660.
Visit the TAP program page of the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website for program details.
Who is eligible: To be eligible for Part-Time TAP, you must:
- Be a first-time freshman in the 2006-07 academic year or thereafter.
- Have earned 12 credits or more in each of the two prior consecutive semesters, for a minimum total of 24 credits earned.
- Be currently taking at least 6 credits at an approved school in New York State.
- Maintain a minimum of a “C” average.
Part-Time TAP awards do not have to be repaid. Visit the Part-Time TAP program page on the HESC website for full details.
How to apply: Go to Apply for TAP on the HESC website for full instructions.