Federal Financial Aid
Federal financial aid falls into two categories:
Eligibility for Federal Financial Aid
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible program of study at Excelsior College. Students completing their degrees solely by exam are not eligible for federal aid.
- Must maintain half-time student status (6 credits for undergraduate and 3 credits for graduate)
- Must be pursuing a degree
- Must be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Must be registered with Selective Service (if male and required)
- May not have eligibility suspended or terminated due to being convicted of a drug-related offense
- Must have a valid Social Security Number
- May not be in default on a federal student loan
- Must not owe an overpayment of federal grant or loan funds
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in Excelsior’s Student Policy Handbook
Applying for Federal Financial Aid
To apply for financial aid, follow these steps.
Fill out the FAFSA form on the FAFSA website. Our Title IV school code is 014251.
FAFSA year you should file as an Excelsior College student:
|If a term start date falls within this time frame||To submit this FAFSA||Using income and tax information from|
|August 26, 2019 –|
August 23, 2020
|August 31, 2020 –|
August 22, 2021
Federal Aid Book Voucher
To receive a Federal Aid Book voucher, you must complete the Book Voucher Request Form each trimester. The book voucher can only be used toward books that are required for the course(s) you are registered in.
- You need to have accepted enough federal financial aid to cover the cost of tuition, fees, and books. Excelsior cannot issue a federal financial aid book voucher with scholarship, private loan, or VA benefit funds.
- Your book voucher will be valued at $140 per course. If you need an increase, you may request to be reviewed for more than $140 per course and provide the amount that you need. You will receive a letter to the email address listed with Excelsior College from eCampus Bookstore with further instruction such as book voucher number and expiration date once your book voucher is available.
- Any unused funds will go back onto your account to be disbursed once the voucher expires. You may contact eCampus Bookstore at 877-284-6744 if you have any questions.
As a distributor of Federal Student Aid, Excelsior College is required by Federal Title IV regulations to inform you of the graduation rates of our first-time full-time students. We primarily serve working adults who attend college part-time, and who typically transfer in college credit previously obtained from other sources. The number of students at Excelsior College who are considered “first-time full-time” students for the current reporting year is zero for both associate and bachelor’s degree seeking students.
Excelsior College is committed to providing you with information about the success of our degree program students. As a reflection of that commitment, we have joined with other colleges and universities that serve adults at a distance in a voluntary system of accountability and transparency. Transparency at Excelsior includes information that is reflective of our student body, including part-time and transfer students. You will also find additional statistics about the learners in our programs, as well as information about student satisfaction, engagement, and learning outcomes.
Some FAFSA applications will be flagged for “unusual enrollment history” by the U.S. Department of Education as a result of the student having received Federal Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans at multiple institutions in recent years.
You must be enrolled in at least one approved 3 credit hour course at Excelsior College and at least one course at the Host Institution per consortium term. Please obtain course approval from your Excelsior College academic advisor for courses at both institutions prior to registering.
This agreement does not guarantee an increase in the amount of financial aid you will be eligible to receive.
Please upload the completed consortium agreement application through your MyExcelsior Financial Aid Online System. To submit the consortium application through MyExcelsior, please notify the Office of Financial Aid ahead of time so that we can enable uploading of the document for you.