Military Spouse and Family Members
Program Options & Plans
To honor military spouses and family members for the crucial support they provide to their enlisted loved ones, Excelsior College offers them servicemember benefits such as:
- Reduced tuition
- Maximum transfer of credit for college courses completed through accredited colleges
- Credit by examination options
- Credit for approved certifications and training through the American Council on Education
Scholarship opportunities are also available for military spouse and family members.
Choose a program of study from our available degree programs.
A military family member is a spouse or dependent of a military servicemember currently serving on active duty or in the Reserve or National Guard component.
To receive the military tuition benefit, military family members need to submit documentation as outlined below. Submit your documentation to the Center for Military and Veteran Education by fax at 518-608-8142 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spouses may provide one of the following to confirm eligibility for the military rate:
- A copy of the spouse’s DEERS Form 1172-2
- A copy of the spouse’s marriage license and a copy of one of the following forms:
- servicemember’s Proof of Service Statement or Letter,
- servicemember’s most recent reenlistment or commission contract,
- servicemember’s most recent Leave and Earnings Statement, or
- servicemember’s most recent Tuition Assistance Form.
- MyCAA Scholarship Recipient – proof of MyCAA Account, approved MyCAA Tuition Assistance Form, or Excelsior College confirmation through Academic Institution (AI) Portal
- Certified copy of complete Federal Income Tax Form showing marital filing status
Dependents may provide one of the following to confirm eligibility for the military rate:
- A copy of the individual’s DEERS Form 1172-2
- Certified copy of completed federal income tax form showing dependency
How to Get Started
Explore more resources available to military family members:
- My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship Program. This workforce development program t provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification, or associate degree in a portable career field and occupation. More information is available from the program administrator, Military One Source.
- VA information on Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents
- Excelsior College Scholarships for Military, Veterans, and Family Members