Credit for Nursing Certifications
You may receive nursing elective credits for one of the following certifications toward certain bachelor’s programs at Excelsior College.
|AACN Certification Corporation||Certification for Adult Critical Care Nurses (CCRN Adult)
Certification for Neonatal Critical Care Nurse (CCRN Neonatal)
Certification for Pediatric Critical Care Nurses (CCRN Pediatric)
Certification for Progressive Care Nurses (PCCN)
|American Board of Neuroscience Nursing (ABNN)*||Certified Neuroscience Registered Nurse (CNRN®)||3|
|American Board of Perianesthesia Nursing Certification, Inc. ABPANC||Certified Post Anesthesia Nurse (CPAN)
Certified Ambulatory Perianesthesia Nurse (CAPA)
|American Nurses Credentialing Center||Certified Gerontological (ADN) Nurse
Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Generalist
|Board of Certification for Emergency Nursing*||Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN)||3|
|Competency and Credentialing Institute||Certified Perioperative Nurse (CNOR)||3|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board||Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN)||4|
|National Board for Certification of Hospice and Palliative Nurses||Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN)||3|
|Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC)||Certified Breast Care Nurse (CBNC®)||3|
|Pediatric Nursing Certification Board||Certified Pediatric Nurse (CPN)||3|
* Two additional nursing elective credits will be awarded to students holding more than one CCRN certification (adult, pediatric, neonatal). For example, a student may be awarded 4 credits for the first certification and 2 credits for each subsequent certification.
‡ Five nursing elective credits will be awarded to students holding both CPAN and CAPA certifications.
How to Receive Credit for Your Nursing Certifications
To receive credit, Excelsior College must receive a written letter that verifies your certification on the certification board’s official letterhead.
This letter must include the signature of an appropriate official at the certification board and clearly state:
- Your full name
- Your birth day and month, or the last four digits of your Social Security number
- The test you took to earn your certification
- The length of time your certification remains valid
The certification board must send the letter in a sealed envelope directly to:
Office of Registration and Records
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203
The Office of Registration and Records will verify the authenticity of the documentation and, once approved, submit the letter to your academic advisor to update your records. You can expect to receive an updated status report within 4 to 6 weeks after the receipt of the letter.
If you have any questions, contact your academic advisor at 888-647-2388.
* Students wishing to receive credit from the American Board of Neuroscience Nursing or Board of Certification for Emergency Nursing should request that their documentation is submitted electronically through ITcertifications@excelsior.edu.