International Non-Nursing Applicants
Review the international student requirements before applying for admission. If you plan to enroll in a nursing program, visit the International Nursing Applicant page.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
An international must submit one of the following to show proof of English Proficiency:
- TOEFL score of 79 and greater with a minimum of 15 on each section
- IELTS score of 6.5 and greater with a minimum of 5.5 on each section
- PTE score of 58 or greater
- Duolingo score of 105 or higher
Test scores are to be sent directly to Excelsior University, Office of the Registrar. Students must provide Excelsior University’s name and full address at the time of taking the test.
Scores submitted to Excelsior have a validity period of two years. Scores that are older than two years at the time of application will not be accepted.
The following exemptions exist for students that can provide one of the following for the English language proficiency requirement:
- Proof of US citizenship as demonstrated by an approved government-issued document.
- Valid US Passport, birth certificate, or certificate of naturalization Submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission of an official transcript providing proof of a full academic year of high school in the US with passing grade in one year of standard English submitted to email@example.com (not including ESL or developmental coursework)
- Submission of an official transcript providing proof of a full year of postsecondary education in the US with a minimum of 24 transferrable semester hours or equivalent taught in English submitted to The Office of the Registrar (not including ESL or developmental coursework)
- Applicants may be considered for an English proficiency test waiver on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the provost.
What Happens If the International Student Has Insufficient Proof of English Language Proficiency?
If the international student applicant cannot demonstrate proof of English language proficiency, they will be denied admission to the University. The applicant will be advised to improve their English language proficiency and encouraged to reapply later when their command of the English language can be demonstrated.
CREDIT TRANSFER FROM INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
Excelsior University awards credit for degree-level coursework completed at a university that has been officially recognized as degree or diploma granting by the regulating agency for higher education in your home country. To submit a transcript:
- Look for the institution(s) where you earned credit in the publication Transcripts Accepted Directly From Institutions Outside the U.S. and in U.S. Territories (PDF).
- If you find your institution(s) listed, have the institution(s) send official transcripts directly to Excelsior University.
- If you do not find your institution(s) listed, you must use an approved evaluation agency when submitting transcripts or credentials.
Undergraduate programs: International credits for admission into all non-nursing undergraduate programs must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE) and documented on their Subject Analysis Report.
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
101 W. Pleasant St., Suite 200, Milwaukee, WI 53212-3963
Customer Care Contact: https://www.ece.org/ECE/About/Contact-Us
Order: Your subject analysis report online
Graduate programs: International students applying to an Excelsior University graduate program should have their transcripts evaluated by World Education Services (WES) to determine bachelor’s degree equivalence of three-year degrees and other foreign credentials.
World Education Services
Attention: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
YOUR EXCELSIOR UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL ADMISSIONS CONTACT:
International Admissions Counselor