Associate In Nursing Application Requirements
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE ASSOCIATE DEGREE IN NURSING PROGRAM
It is important that all students are aware of the unique features of this online nursing program. Distance education is as challenging as face-to-face instruction, if not more so. The nursing component of the associate degree program requires outstanding critical thinking skills and nursing judgment, along with a commitment to academic rigor.
We are currently accepting applications to our Associate Degree in Nursing program from a limited number of states.
We are accepting applications to our Associate Degree in Nursing program for applicants from the following states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
We have verified with each named state’s board of nursing that graduates of Excelsior College Associate Degree in Nursing program will be able to apply for licensure in that state. We are currently not accepting applications from other states, until further notice.
Curriculum Update: Associate degree in nursing students admitted on or after January 1, 2021, will enroll in a curriculum that offers nursing theory concurrent with clinical instruction. Online courses in nursing theory, NUR 250 in Phase II and NUR 290 in Phase III of the program, will include weekly synchronous laboratory experiences and one in-person clinical experience within the 8-week term. Please note that both NUR 250 and NUR 290 require travel to meet course requirements. In addition, students are required to purchase a skills kit (available in the bookstore) for two courses, NUR 104 and NUR 105, in Phase I. Students will use items in the kit to complete nursing skills assignments that will be evaluated by the course instructor.
- The Associate Degree in Nursing program is designed for LPNs, LVNs, paramedics, and certain classifications of active duty military, National Guard, or Reserves within specific military occupations with equivalent scope of practice to LPN/LVN or paramedic.
- A student’s possession of an LPN, LVN, Paramedic, or Military Corpsmen credential does not guarantee success in the Associate Degree in Nursing program.
- The Associate Degree in Nursing program is designed for individuals with experience in clinical settings. Students will have opportunities to expand upon existing clinical skills and knowledge throughout the curriculum and will demonstrate their clinical competence during the nursing capstone.
- Students are required to submit a Verification of Health Care Experience Form signed by a clinical supervisor at the time of admission and again prior to course approval for Competencies for Contemporary Nursing Practice.
- Students enrolled in the Associate Degree in Nursing program are assigned a primary academic advisor, but may also work with different members of the academic advisement team during their enrollment.
- Repeating any Excelsior College sources of credit will require students to pay the tuition and/or fees that are associated with that requirement. Students will be responsible for paying the Student Services Annual Fee for each year they continue in the Associate Degree in Nursing program.
- A student’s success or failure in completing program requirements (including all Excelsior College sources of credit) will affect their progress through the Associate Degree in Nursing program. The time limit for completion of the associate degree is six years.
- Pass rates for the National Council Licensure Examination-RN (NCLEX-RN) are updated and available on the Excelsior College website.
- Because each institution of higher education maintains its own credit transfer policy, credits earned in Excelsior’s Associate Degree in Nursing program may or may not be transferable to other institutions.
- Students are responsible for reading and understanding the RN licensure requirements in the state they hope to practice in following graduation or if considering relocation. Students may consult with the State Board team and the State Board Requirements web page for current information regarding eligibility for RN licensure in each state and U.S. jurisdiction.
- Students are encouraged to read the School of Nursing catalog prior to enrolling in a program of study.
You’re eligible to apply for admission to the associate programs in nursing if you:
- Hold a practical/vocational nurse, paramedic license, or are in a certain classification of active duty military, National Guard, or Reserves within a specific military occupation that is equivalent to scope of practice to LPN/LVN or paramedic. Learn more.
- Are employed in a setting that requires direct patient care, under the supervision of someone with a health care credential who evaluates your clinical practice.
- Completed 200 or more hours of employment in this setting within the calendar year prior to the date you submit your Verification of Health Care Experience.
TEST OF ESSENTIAL ACADEMIC SKILLS (TEAS) REQUIREMENT
You must complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and have achieved the minimum TEAS scores outlined below to be admitted. Your TEAS score report from ATI must be completed within one year prior to the date of your application. Review the TEAS requirement details.
HEALTH CARE EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION
When you apply, you need to submit a completed Verification of Health Care Experience Form (VHCE). This form requires a signature from your supervisor (the person with a health care credential who evaluates your clinical practice).
You can submit this form with your online application or you can scan and send it by email to email@example.com or by fax to 518-464-8833. You must submit it within 3 months after the date your supervisor signs it, and a new form will be required before entering phase three of the program.
COPY OF HEALTH CARE LICENSE
In addition, you’ll need to submit a copy of your current health care license or certification to verify your professional status in an appropriate health care profession.
READY TO APPLY?
- Go to community.excelsior.edu/apply and click on “Degree Program Application”
- Send official transcripts for previously earned college credits
- Submit completed Verification of Health Care Experience form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once admitted, review results of credit evaluation with your counselor
- Register for your first term! You are now an enrolled student