Changes to the Associate Degree in Nursing Program Requirements
Be sure to review each of these recent program changes:
Effective March 30, 2016, applicants to the associate degree programs in nursing need to meet each of the criteria below in order to be eligible for admission:
- Hold current and active LPN/LVN licensure, paramedic certification, or currently serve in the U.S. military, National Guard, or Reserves in a specific military occupation that is equivalent in scope of practice to LPN/LVN or paramedic.
- Submit a completed Verification of Health Care Experience form (PDF), which requires a signature from your supervisor. The VHCE form expires 3 months from the date of your supervisor's signature. IMPORTANT: In addition to submitting a VHCE form upon application to the program, students will need to submit a new VHCE form no more than 3 months prior to FCCA eligibility.
Earn the minimum required score, as established by the School of Nursing, on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). The scores noted below must be earned on a single attempt of the TEAS.
- Overall Score: 63.3%
- Reading: 69%
- Mathematics: 63.3%
- Science: 45.8%
- English: 60%
Acceptance of TEAS Score
When you register for the TEAS you MUST provide ATI with the following in order to match your TEAS transcript with your Excelsior College student record:
- Your date of birth (MM/DD)
- The SAME email address you provided to Excelsior College
Your TEAS will NOT be accepted without these two forms of identification.
TEAS scores are only valid if taken no more than one year prior to the date of your application. In addition, you can only test twice in a calendar year (Jan-Dec). Please read these instructions:
- How to create an account with ATI (PDF)
- How to register for the TEAS (PDF)
- How to purchase a transcript from ATI (PDF)
We encourage you to begin gathering the documentation above, and to begin preparing to take the TEAS.
Your application should not be submitted to Excelsior College until you have achieved the required admission scores on the TEAS.
If you have any questions, please contact our admissions office staff at 888-647-2388, ext. 2.
Students who enroll on or after January 1, 2016 and who earn a total of 6 or more D or F grades in the nursing theory series (courses, exams, nursing theory conference examinations) will be academically dismissed from the associate degree in nursing program.
Withdrawn and prospective students who have earned a combination of 6 or more D or F grades in the nursing theory series (courses, exams, nursing theory conference examinations) will be denied admission to Excelsior College associate degree in nursing program.
Students enrolling in the Associate Degree in nursing program on or after January 1, 2016 are required to complete the following general education requirements: Written English, Sociology Core, Life Span Developmental Psychology and Mathematics prior to registering for any nursing theory series component (examination, course or nursing theory conference examination). The reason for this change is to support your success since these general education courses enhance the development of your nursing knowledge. This change is in addition to the existing prerequisites of Human Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology.
Effective September 1, 2015, students enrolled in the associate degree in nursing program may take each nursing theory requirement up to three times. Failure of the requirement on the third attempt will lead to academic dismissal from the associate degree in nursing program. Withdrawn or prospective students who have failed a single nursing theory requirement three times will be denied admission to this program for at least five years.