Earn Your CompTIA Cybersecurity Certification
Securing data is a key role in organizations of every size and type. This creates significant opportunities for professionals who can keep online data safe and private. The CompTIA Security+ certification is considered a global standard for validating cybersecurity skills. This 100% online course will help you master the basics of system security, network infrastructure, access control, and organizational security. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be prepared to take the CompTIA Security+ certification SY0-501 exam. Excelsior University accepts 3 credits towards a degree program for successful completion of the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
BS in Electrical Engineering
HVCC Class of 2005
Job Outlook for CompTIA Security+ Professionals
- Cybersecurity professionals are in high demand. Cyber Defense Magazine predicts a need for 1.8 million new cybersecurity professionals by 2022. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects 32% job growth for information security analysts between now and 2028.
- Cybersecurity is among the BLS’s fastest-growing job categories, a factor the BLS attributes to growth in hacking and attacks on computer and network infrastructure. Growth is expected across every industry, especially those that involve private information such as banks and financial services, healthcare, and emerging fields such as vehicle and physical infrastructure systems.
- Cybersecurity professionals are well-paid. According to PayScale.com, cybersecurity analysts with CompTIA Security+ preparation command salaries above $61,000 per year.
Online CompTIA Security+ Certification Course FAQs
Online CompTIA Security+ Certification Course Objectives
- Perform network design security, risk calculations, penetration testing, and risk management
- Implement device security, wireless security, static environment security, secure authentication methods, and authorization models
- Manage attack types, mitigating malware, discovery tools, and security administrative principles
- Develop the necessary skills for a career as an IA technician, security consultant, information security analyst, or forensic analyst
- Create an initial understanding of or build upon your existing IT knowledge by exploring computer and network security concepts
- Prepare to successfully pass the CompTIA Security+ Exam SY0-501
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take the course. However, CompTIA recommends having up to two years of experience in IT administration with a security focus for the Security+ exam.
- Security Attacks and Cryptography
Malware and social engineering attacks, basic cryptography
- Security and Networking
Advanced cryptography and PKI, application and networking-based attacks, network security devices, design, and technology
- Securing Networks and Clients
Administering a secure network, wireless network security, client and application security
- Mobile Security and Access Management
Mobile and embedded device security, authentication, account and access management
- Business Continuity and Risk Mitigation
Vulnerability assessment and data security, backup and recovery, implementing software RAID
David Grimes has more than 10 years of management and leadership experience in the private and nonprofit sectors. Grimes is passionate about technology and education, having worked as academic dean, student services director, technology coordinator, teacher, consultant, and technology columnist. He holds a Master of Education and a Bachelor of Science from Ohio State University, both in technology education.