Earn Your CompTIA Cybersecurity Certification
Securing this data is a key role in organizations of every size and type. This creates significant opportunities for professionals who can keep online data safe and private. The CompTIA Security+ certification is considered a global standard for validating cybersecurity skills. This 100% online Security+ course will help you master the basics of system security, network infrastructure, access control, and organizational security. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be prepared to take the CompTIA Security+ certification exam (SYO-601). Excelsior University accepts 3 credits towards a degree program for successful completion of the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
BS in Electrical Engineering
HVCC Class of 2005
Job Outlook for CompTIA Security+ Professionals
- Cybersecurity professionals are in high demand. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects 32% job growth for information security analysts between now and 2028.
- This is among the BLS’s fastest-growing job categories, a factor the BLS attributes to growth in hacking and attacks on computer and network infrastructure. Growth is expected across every industry, especially those that involve private information, such as banks and financial services, healthcare, and emerging fields such as vehicle and physical infrastructure systems.
- Cybersecurity professionals are well-paid. According to PayScale.com, cybersecurity analysts with CompTIA Security+ preparation command salaries above $78,000 per year.
Online CompTIA Security+ Certification Course FAQs
As a certification for entry-level or ground-floor career opportunities, CompTIA Security+ certification holders often work in jobs with titles such as:
- Junior IT Auditor/ Penetration Tester
- Security Specialist
- Security Consultant
- Security Engineer
- Systems Administrator
- Network Administrator
- Security Administrator
Data security firm Netwrix considers the CompTIA Security+ the ideal certification for those entering the cybersecurity field. Although other certifications may offer subject matter and challenges that dive deeper into specific issues that are more appropriate for seasoned professionals, the Security+ certification process and exams fit ideally with the needs of new security professionals.
The Security+ exam is a comprehensive test of your ability to:
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot systems to ensure the security of applications, networks, and devices
- Detect, analyze, and mitigate threats to systems and information
- Participate in activities that mitigate and address risks to information and devices
- Be aware of and follow policies, laws, and regulations as applicable
- Support network operations, information, and devices following the principles of confidentiality, integrity, and availability
Although many cybersecurity jobs require access to highly confidential information, including systems configurations, CompTIA notes that many support and user-facing jobs are shifting to a remote or work from home (WFH) basis. Especially given secure connections and reliable protocols, network security may offer opportunities for remote careers.
Online CompTIA Security+ Certification Course Objectives
- Perform network design security, risk calculations, penetration testing, and risk management
- Implement device security, wireless security, static environment security, secure authentication methods, and authorization models
- Manage attack types, mitigating malware, discovery tools, and security administrative principles
- Develop the necessary skills for a career as an IA technician, security consultant, information security analyst, or forensic analyst
- Create an initial understanding of or build upon your existing IT knowledge by exploring computer and network security concepts
- Prepare to successfully pass the CompTIA Security+ certification exam (SYO-601)
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take the course. However, CompTIA recommends having up to two years of experience in IT administration with a security focus for the Security+ exam.
- Security Attacks and Cryptography
Malware and social engineering attacks, basic cryptography
- Security and Networking
Advanced cryptography and PKI, application and networking-based attacks, network security devices, design, and technology
- Securing Networks and Clients
Administering a secure network, wireless network security, client and application security
- Mobile Security and Access Management
Mobile and embedded device security, authentication, account and access management
- Business Continuity and Risk Mitigation
Vulnerability assessment and data security, backup and recovery, implementing software RAID
Linda Matthews has years of experience both in the classroom teaching technical material and in the field solving a myriad of technical issues. Linda possesses the background to engage deeply with cybersecurity through teaching and intellectual focus. For the past eight years, she has lived with this vast and fascinating body of knowledge. Now, she regularly trains individuals in several of the most popular security courses from CompTIA and Microsoft. CompTIA’s Security+ is the foundational course students need to begin an incredible journey into cybersecurity. Linda has a strong love for teaching and igniting the spark that can set students on a most worthwhile and fulfilling path.
Sara Perrott has been working in the information technology field for 20+ years and has devoted the last 10 of those to focusing on cybersecurity. She is a published author and a former college professor, and she is passionate about teaching the next generation of cybersecurity professionals. Sara has a Master of Science in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance from Western Governors University Washington and a Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Security from the University of Phoenix.