Online Pharmacy Technician Training (Voucher Included)
There’s no shortage of pharmacies in need of skilled pharmacy technicians! This 100% online course will prepare you for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) National Certification exam and help you complete an externship with a leading pharmacy chain.
BS in Electrical Engineering
HVCC Class of 2005
Job Outlook for Pharmacy Technicians
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), demand for pharmacy technicians will grow 12% through 2028 — that equates to over 30,000 new jobs!
- The BLS notes that on average, pharmacy technicians earn an annual salary of $32,700. Top earners can make up to $47,000 per year.
Pharmacy Technician FAQs
Pharmacy Technician Objectives
- Learn federal and state laws that govern pharmacies, as well as the ethics of pharmacy practice.
- Be fully prepared to sit for the National Certification exam titled Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- Become eligible to apply for a 100+ hour externship at a national pharmacy chain.
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course. However, the externship requires that you have a high school diploma and be at least 18 years old. This course is 100% online. Start anytime.
- Orientation to Pharmacy
History, foundations, and role of the pharmacy technician in today’s healthcare system
- Pharmacy Law and Ethics
Introduction to law, liability, and federal regulations of controlled substances
- Pharmaceutical Calculations
Basic, community, and institutional pharmacy math to calculate dosages and dilutions
The science of pharmacology, evolution of drugs, and administration of pharmacological agents
- Communication Skills
Verbal and non-verbal methods, HIPAA regulations
- Insurance and Inventory Procedure
Cost analysis, purchasing procedures, and record keeping
- Lab Module
Interactive lab for the retail and hospital settings
- Clinical Rotations
Virtual externship in the retail and hospital settings
- Final Exam
Final comprehensive exam to qualify for externship
Melissa Dunworth has been a certified pharmacy technician since 1997. Dunworth is registered with the New Mexico Board of Pharmacy and holds a Bachelor of Science in Speech and Hearing Sciences.
Betty Stahl holds a doctorate in pharmacy from Shenandoah University. Over the past several years, she has taught pharmacy technician programs at ASA College in New York City and ACT in Arlington, Virginia. Stahl has also worked as a pharmacist in independent and hospital settings.