Student Identity Verification
Statement of Policy
In compliance with the provisions of the United States Federal Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008, Public Law 110-315, concerning the verification of student identity in distance learning, Excelsior University has established and will periodically evaluate its process to confirm that a person who has been admitted to Excelsior is the person who applied to Excelsior, that a student taking an examination is the student who registered to take the examination and that the student who is registered for an online course is the same student who participates in, completes, and receives credit for the course. To authenticate identities, Excelsior University will use one or more of the following methods for verification:
- A secure login with user name and password
- Proctored examinations
- New or emerging technologies and practices that are effective in verifying student identification
Personally identifiable information collected by Excelsior may be used as the basis for identity verification. This information may include a combination of the following:
- Student ID number
- Last 4 digits of the student's Social Security Number
- At least 2 other pieces of information such as the student's email address on file, date of birth, address, or user name
Identity verification for new students
All students who accept admission to Excelsior are issued a unique username and a temporary password to create a user account in My Excelsior. The student is issued a one-time use link so a secure password can be set.
Identity Verification for Course Takers
- Students seeking registration in online courses will provide appropriate identification to establish their identity.
- MyExcelsior secure student user name and password will be required for coursework submitted online (see Policy 158 Student User Name and Password Assignment).
Identity Verification for UExcel Exam Takers
- Students taking our UExcel examinations for credit will be authenticated at the time of the exam at the testing center or by the online proctor. One valid form of government-issued photo identification is required in order to take the test. See the Using Exams to Earn College Credit guide for more information