In compliance with the provisions of the United States Federal Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008, Public Law 110-315, concerning the verification of student identity in distance learning, Excelsior University has established and will periodically evaluate its process to confirm that a person who has been admitted to the University is the person who applied to the University and that the student who is registered for a course is the same student who participates in, completes, and receives credit for the course.
To authenticate identities, Excelsior will use one or more of the following methods for verification:
- A secure login with username and password
- New or emerging technologies and practices that are effective in verifying student identification
Personally identifiable information collected by the University may be used as the basis for identity verification. This information may include a combination of the following:
- Student ID number
- Last four digits of the student's Social Security Number
- At least two other pieces of information such as the student's email address on file, date of birth, address, or username
Identity Verification for New Students
All students who accept admission to the University are issued a unique username and a temporary password to create a user account in MyExcelsior. The student is issued a one-time use link so a secure password can be set.
Identity Verification for Course Takers
- Students seeking registration in courses will provide appropriate identification to establish their identity.
- A secure student username and password for MyExcelsior will be required for coursework submitted online.