Student User Name and Password Assignment
This procedure describes the self-guided registration process to create the account and login ID, the username and password requirements, how the student provides identity verification, and how the student is able to look up their username or reset their password.
Excelsior University uses technology to support student learning; therefore, all students will have access to Excelsior online services by creating an account on the Excelsior website (www.excelsior.edu). The account allows a student to access private areas of the Excelsior University website, including student services and online courses.
- User Name and Password Are Private Information and Must be Protected
The username and password must be kept confidential by the student. Students and staff are responsible for protecting this information to prevent unauthorized use of the student account. Students may not share their username and password with any third party or permit any third party to log into the student’s electronic environment. The username and password are used as a login ID to access student services and online courses.
- Provide Secure and Reasonable Methods for Retrieval
If the student forgets their login ID information, the University will provide secure and reasonable methods for retrieving the username or resetting the password. The student is responsible for providing information to confirm their identity.
During the enrollment process, a student account is created with a randomly generated password. The student is issued a one-time password reset link to both confirm their email and allow the student to choose their new password.
Username Retrieval and Password Reset
There are three username retrieval and password reset options:
- Online Login Help
This process is self-guided and initiated by the student. This process can follow one of two paths:
- Path 1 – Forgotten username: An email will be sent with a onetime use password link to the address on file for the account holder. The individual enters the email address of the account holder. If this email address matches the one on file, the system will send an email with the student’s username.
- Path 2 – Forgotten password: The student is prompted for their email address and username. If the student does not believe that the email address on file is valid, he or she may utilize the online service to retrieve the username or reset the password. This begins with a request for the first and last name of the student and will continue to verify the identity of the requester by calling for the following combination of information:
- The last 4 digits of the Social Security number (SSN) and date of birth
- Student ID and date of birth
The result of a positive match on either of these is:
- Display of user name and request for password to complete login
- Reset password
If the reset password option is chosen and the secret question is correctly answered, the student is allowed to change the Login ID’s password. This will result in a new password for the login ID (as opposed to a one-time use password).
- Aided by Excelsior University staff (by phone or email)
Excelsior staff members do not have the ability to view or reset a student’s password. A restricted number of staff can update the student’s record with an accurate email address to allow the student to perform a self-guided username retrieval or password reset as described above. Excelsior staff can also view the Login ID username for a
student. Excelsior staff, before updating the email address on file or revealing the username, must validate the student’s identity through the process described in the Student Identification policy.
Staff can also forward the caller to Technical Support to provide additional levels of account access assistance. This process is described below.
- Aided by Technical Support (by phone or email)
Technical Support staff will follow the process described in the Student Identification policy. The Technical Support staff member will verify and update, if necessary, the student's email address and then aid in the process of the online Login Help.
Technical Support staff can reset the password which automatically generates an email containing the one-time use password to the account holder's email address.
Technical Support staff can also provide the username for an individual.