Bachelors Degrees | Information Technology, IT | Information Security - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Technology Programs
Program: BS in Information Technology: Information Security Concentration
Bachelor's in Information Technology (Information Security)
In today's economy, information is everything. That's why information security skills are so critical—and in such high demand.
You can acquire those skills and give your career a boost at Excelsior College by earning an online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Information Security).
Excelsior's online IT degree programs are designed for working adults who seek a quick, convenient, affordable degree path. Our online IT degree is an ideal fit for transfer students who have prior college credits, military training, and/or job-related applied education courses.
It's also designed to fit comfortably within busy schedules and tight budgets. Excelsior's online bachelor's degree in information technology allows you to:
- Take online IT classes where and when you want—they won't interfere with your job or family routine.
- Save money with Excelsior's budget-friendly tuition, low student fees, and flexible payment plans.
- Receive maximum transfer credit for approved college courses you've already passed.
- Satisfy some IT degree requirements with eligible forms of military service and professional training.
You'll need fewer courses to graduate from Excelsior, so you'll complete your bachelor's IT degree more quickly—and get the career benefits that come with information security expertise.
Build Your Career with a Flexible, Affordable Information Technology Degree
Information security addresses a broad set of threats, including natural disasters, power outages, internal data theft, compatibility problems, viruses, and hardware failure.
By specializing in information security, you'll get an IT bachelor's degree the cultivates expertise in areas such as:
- Network security
- Computer forensics
- Information assurance
- Web security
- Software analysis and design
Our online IT degree passes the same academic quality-control checks that govern more traditional IT bachelor's degree programs. You'll study with top-notch faculty and get up-to-date knowledge that's relevant in today's IT industry.
Excelsior College has helped more than 140,000 graduates attain their educational and career goals. Join them by earning a marketable online IT degree in information security.
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
Program: Technology: BS in Information Technology Degree Requirements
BS in Information Technology Degree Requirements
Minimum of 120 credits: 60 in arts and sciences, 48 in the technology component, and 12 in free electives including information literacy.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of computing and mathematics for problem solving in the field of information technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze user needs to define and create appropriate computing requirements and solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively select, evaluate, and integrate information technologies based solutions in a user environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to participate effectively in groups or team projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand professional, ethical, and social responsibilities, including the impacts of culture, diversity, and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communicating technical information in formal reports, documentation, and presentations to users and information technology professionals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze the impacts of information technologies and computing on the public, organizations, and individuals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and apply current and emerging technologies and tools for information technologies solutions.
- Demonstrate expertise in the core information technologies, including web technologies, database management and security, object-oriented programming, computer architecture, systems architecture, operating systems, networking, and system administration.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze computing and information security requirements and risks, and apply the appropriate tools and techniques to protect organizational data assets in an ethically responsible manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply best practices and standards for information technology applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in the creation and execution of an effective project plan.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development and to continue to engage in lifelong learning.
Review more student learning outcomes
As an Excelsior College bachelor's level information technology graduate, within a few years of graduation, you are expected to:
- Apply general and discipline specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze and solve problems in the information technology discipline.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain technically current with, and adaptive to, changing technologies through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional/industrial environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional/industrial environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business, industry, and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in the information technology field.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.
Accreditation: Technology: ABET: Computing Accreditation Commission
Specialized Accreditation for Technology Degrees
The bachelor's degree program in information technology is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. ABET is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).