Using your Veterans Benefits

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11®

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill®

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Select Reserve

Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

Applying for Benefits

Students using their Veteran Benefits must first apply, or update their benefit at If you have used your benefits at another institution, please make sure to update your school of attendance.

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11®

Once you have received your certificate of eligibility for your Chapter 33 – Post 9/11® benefits, please forward that form to Our Veteran Affairs team will link these benefits to your student account, and you can then register for any approved courses. You can also obtain your Statement of Benefits at, and provide that to us in lieu of the certificate of eligibility.

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill®, Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve, and Chapter 35 – Survivor’s and Dependent’s Educational Assistance Program

Students using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, or Chapter 35 can submit their certificate of eligibility and a request for VA certification to

Tuition Deferral is also available for students using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 35.

Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

Chapter 31 students must first apply for this benefit, and if approved, then have their counselor submit a purchase order through The Tungsten Network, so our Veterans Affairs team can link this benefit to the student account.

Course Certification

After you have registered for approved courses using your veteran benefits, our School Certifying Officials will submit a certification to the VA on your behalf. Please allow seven to ten business days for the initial certification to be submitted. To ensure a certification is submitted, contact our Veterans Affairs office at

Title 38 US Code 3679 (e)

Excelsior University complies with Title 38 US Code 3679(e).
Excelsior University permits students to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the student provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.

2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Excelsior University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a student borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the student’s inability to meet their financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from the VA under chapter 31 or 33.

NOTE: A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Disclosures for Programs Leading to Professional Licensure or Certification

Excelsior University Associate Degree in Nursing

RN education and licensure eligibility rules vary from state to state. In many states, Excelsior University School of Nursing graduates are eligible for licensure by examination without additional requirements or stipulations. In certain states, however, Excelsior University Associate Degree in nursing graduates are not eligible for RN licensure or must meet additional requirements or stipulations to become eligible for RN licensure. For additional information about licensure eligibility criteria for our program graduates, please visit our State Board Requirements page or email us at: