Change of Records

Change of Records

Students should report any change in name, address, telephone number, email address, or Social Security number to the Registrar’s Office as soon as they are aware that the change will take place. This notification can be in writing and should include the prior information, the new information, and the date the change will be effective. Students may also change their address, telephone number, and email address online at

Documentation and certification of name and Social Security number changes will be required as described below. Students must include their student identification number which can be found on their Excelsior University MyExcelsior portal, or their Social Security number on all change requests.

The University is not responsible for problems or delays with degree progress or fee payments that result from a student's failure to update records.

Name Change

To change their name on their records, students must submit one of the following documents to the Registrar’s Office: court order or decree for change of name; marriage certificate; naturalization documents; or an Excelsior University Change of Name form, available from the

Registrar’s Office upon request. The documents submitted must be notarized by a Notary Public and contain the original signature, seal, and commission expiration date of the Notary Public.

Social Security Number/Student ID Number

Excelsior University uses U.S. Social Security numbers as an identification number. A special student ID number will be assigned for use throughout the time a student is enrolled. Students’ Social Security numbers or student ID numbers are not disclosed to individuals or agencies outside Excelsior University, except in accordance with University policy and as otherwise required by law. For example, the reporting requirements of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 require disclosure of students’ Social Security numbers to the Internal Revenue Service.

Student identification numbers, which are used to link submitted transcripts to the student’s academic record, are based on their social security number. It is therefore important to notify the University of changes in social security numbers. Students may change the social security number on their records by sending the Registrar’s Office a photocopy of the new social security card with their change request. The photocopy must by notarized by a Notary Public and contain the original signature, seal, and commission expiration date of the Notary Public.

Address and Telephone Number Changes

Students can update their address, phone number, fax number, and email address on our website by logging into Change of address and/or phone and fax number will not be accepted by telephone unless the Excelsior staff member can confirm the identity of the student beyond a reasonable doubt.

To submit a change in writing, students must include their Excelsior University student ID number (or last four digits of their U.S. Social Security number), the change and effective date of that change, and student’s original signature. Students should mail their change notice to the attention of the Registrar’s Office at Excelsior University.

Reports of changes by a third party will not be accepted unless the student has indicated in writing that the third party has permission to act on the student’s behalf.