Public Administration [Without Concentration] - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Public Service Programs
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Master of Public Administration Degree
There is an increasing need for leaders in local, state, and federal governments as well as in the nonprofit sector to serve the public by developing policies and legislation, creating strategies, implementing plans, administrating projects, and managing programs, budgets, and personnel.
A Master of Public Administration (MPA) from Excelsior College provides you with the flexibility to move between government and nongovernmental careers by helping you develop the analytic and leadership skills necessary to prepare for positions across a spectrum of public administration jobs.
This online MPA degree emphasizes practical application and is dedicated to producing graduates who contribute to the well-being of society.
A Master's in public administration is for you if:
- You desire a leadership position aimed at serving communities in making ethical decisions and influencing society's well-being.
- Your goals are focused on maintaining the management of personnel and exercising smart budgeting judgments.
- You want to use statistical analysis, economics, and strategic management to employ responsible regulation and direction for real issues or challenges in society.
- Your career is shaped by relationship building and you want to build a professional network to foster collaboration among multiple organizations, issues, people, and technology.
- You seek to obtain a leadership role that will help you understand how organizations and people effect and influence change.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE®) is not a requirement for admission.
You'll benefit from:
- Generous graduate credit-transfer—up to 33 credits from other accredited graduate schools provided that the credits meet the needs of the MPA program. This allows you to build on your existing knowledge and earn your MPA more quickly.
- Affordable tuition and competitive fees with public institutions along with interest-free payment options, financial aid, and other forms of support.
- A cutting-edge academic program designed by world-renowned educators.
- Personalized academic support from advisors who know you by name.
- Expert guidance from faculty with extensive experience as practitioners in the field.
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
SPS MPA info block
MPA Credit Requirements
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) program requires 36 credits (semester hours) of study divided between the core requirements and electives. All students take 24 credits of core courses and a 3-credit capstone at the end of the program. Students complete 9 credits of electives for the MPA without concentration or 9 credits in concentration courses.
Upon completion of an Excelsior College Master of Public Administration, the graduate will be able to:
- Integrate fundamentals of leadership and management theory and practice within public administration.
- Apply public administration principles within diverse organizations and populations to achieve positive outcomes for the citizenry.
- Interpret and analyze data to formulate and influence decision-making.
- Assess the use of technology to assist in solving complex problems and optimizing resources.
- Apply ethical standards to the practice of public administration.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.