Excelsior University Strategic Plan 2023–2025
Fulfilling the Promise
In 1971, New York State embraced and implemented a novel idea—create ways to provide educational opportunity to adult learners through the validation of prior learning, military service, professional development, and life experience. With a continuous commitment to innovation and a steadfast resolve to meet students where they are—academically and geographically—Excelsior pioneered many of the assessment and online instruction practices now standard for distance educators. More than 50 years after its founding, Excelsior has enabled more than 190,000 adult learners to achieve their educational goals.
At the same time, we are cognizant that the world is changing. Globalization, increasing competition, changing American demographics, and shifting public perception of the value of a degree pose challenges distinct from any in Excelsior’s history. Fulfilling our mission and promise in this environment requires Excelsior to transcend the past and embrace a new shared vision for the future, one constructed to meet the needs of today’s learners—and those who come tomorrow.
The pursuit of this future manifests in five strategic goals:
- Drive enrollment and build Excelsior University’s academic portfolio of programs.
- Advance leadership in teaching, learning, and course design.
- Provide exceptional student experience to ensure student success.
- Broaden Excelsior University’s partnerships to support strategic transformation of the institution.
- Become a multicultural organization, initiate the Center for Social Justice, and integrate Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) at Excelsior University.
This strategic plan reflects a dynamic and continuous process and is adapted to meet institutional priorities and emerging opportunities. Our decisions about resource deployment, academic offerings, the student experience, and fulfilling our mission are aligned with these goals and are regularly evaluated for effectiveness.
Mindful of our history and our core values, Excelsior’s agenda is set; the work to deliver on its founding promise continues.
Goals and Sub-Goals
Goal 1: Drive enrollment and build Excelsior University’s academic portfolio of programs
- Sub-goal 1: Develop and launch the College of Nursing and Health Sciences and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Sub-goal 2: Launch Excelsior University brand and facilitate ongoing brand awareness
- Sub-goal 3: Develop inquiry generation and enrollment-driving strategy
Goal 2: Advance leadership in teaching, learning, and course design
- Sub-goal 1: Develop a data-driven teaching and learning model
- Sub-goal 2: Build program pathways
- Sub-goal 3: Ensure best-in-class teaching and learning
- Sub-goal 4: Define and improve learning outcomes
- Sub-goal 5: Redefine and calibrate academic affairs
Goal 3: Provide exceptional student experience to ensure student success
- Sub-goal 1: Establish enrollment management and marketing future state
- Sub-goal 3: Evaluate and enhance new student enrollment model
- Sub-goal 4: Evaluate and enhance current student support model for academic advising and success coaching
- Sub-goal 5: Evaluate and enhance student financial services and student success wraparound services for student financial services and student success teams
- Sub-goal 6: Evaluate and enhance registrar and Transcript Analysis Center student support services provided by Transcript Analysis Center and the registrar staff
- Sub-goal 7: Identify, secure, and implement technology needs for enrollment management and marketing
Goal 4: Broaden Excelsior University’s partnerships to support strategic transformation of the institution
- Sub-goal 1: Establish profitable partnerships and add partners that support the university’s mission
- Sub-goal 2: Assess, explore, and create transformational partnerships
- Sub-goal 3: Expand and strengthen fundraising efforts to maximize all philanthropic opportunities in support of the university’s mission
Goal 5: Become a multicultural organization, initiate the Center for Social Justice, and integrate Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) at Excelsior University
- Sub-goal 1: Introduce, explore, and apply the JDEI Map framework to and with Excelsior University’s staff units
- Sub-goal 2: Develop Excelsior University identity and allyship role teams
- Sub-goal 3: Integrate JEDI across Excelsior University’s curricula
- Sub-goal 4: Facilitate at least team-level JEDI conversations with Excelsior University units
- Sub-goal 5: Develop or enhance an underrepresented student enrollment partnership, plus a local and a national or global JEDI though leadership each year
- Sub-goal 6: Redesign and prototype a new iteration of the ¡Adelante! dual-language program
- Sub-goal 7: Collaborate to enhance the recruitment and retention of Excelsior University’s diverse workforce