Special Student Policy – High School Equivalency
Statement of PolicyPursuant to New York State law, individuals who have not earned a high school diploma, or its equivalent, are eligible for admission to Excelsior College, however, a degree cannot be conferred until preliminary education requirements are met. The requirements for students of compulsory school age and those beyond compulsory school age are different.
For Students Who Are of Compulsory School AgeUnder New York law, in most instances, a child must attend school full time from age 6 to the end of the school year when the child turns 17.
1) Admissions Requirement
- Student must hold a high school diploma or have completed the substantial equivalent of a high school diploma, as certified by the superintendent of schools or a comparable chief school administrator; or
- If the student does not hold a high school diploma or its equivalent upon admission, they must present a letter from the superintendent of schools or a comparable chief school administrator indicating the student’s projected high school completion date. Students cannot pursue a college degree in lieu of the high school diploma.
- Student must have earned their high school diploma; or
- Student must have completed the substantial equivalent of a four-year high school course, as certified by the superintendent to schools or comparable chief school administrator.
For Students Who Are Beyond Compulsory School Age1) Admissions Requirement
- Student does not need to present proof of high school completion or equivalency.