Student Complaints, Appeals, and Exceptions

Student Complaints, Appeals, and Exceptions

This policy provides students with a fair process to address their concerns, complaints, and appeals, or to request an exception to policy.

Any student who has a complaint with a university employee, department, school, or process is encouraged to resolve the concern first through direct communication with the individual or department involved. Any concern that a student perceives as unresolved may be escalated as a formal complaint through the

Requests for exceptions to policy, appeals of a university policy, or of a decision made by Excelsior personnel may be submitted to the Supporting documentation may be required.


Students must submit an appeal in writing to the appropriate academic dean or designee or the Ombudsperson Office. Additional information or documentation relevant to the appeal may be required.

  • Receipt of appeal letters will be acknowledged within three (3) calendar days.
  • Appeals shall be reviewed and decisions rendered within thirty (30) days of receipt of a completed student appeal, unless otherwise notated by a specific policy
  • Appeal decisions shall be documented in SIS. All documentation pertaining to the appeal must be scanned into the student file in SIS and appropriate staff will be notified.
  • The student may file a formal written request for review to the academic dean or the ombudsperson if they are not satisfied with the response.

Notification to Accrediting Agency

A student who is not satisfied with the resolution provided by the University may file a written complaint with the University’s accrediting agency, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Complaints to the Commission must be in writing and signed by the complainant.

They should be sent to:

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2680.

Notification to State Authorities

A student may also file a complaint with the appropriate state agency within the state in which the student resides. A list of contact information for the appropriate state agencies is available on the University’s website at

Notification to the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

As an institution participating in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), students residing in SARA states/territories may contact our home state SARA State Portal Entity (New York State Education Department) to file a complaint if resolution is not found within the institution. However, students cannot file complaints relating to grades or student conduct violations. Information can be found on our website at: