Health Sciences Associate Degrees (Associate) - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study: Health Sciences
Health Sciences Associate Degrees
Associate in Health Sciences Degree
The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that between now and the year 2024, one in every four new jobs will be positioned in the field of health care.
Whether you want to start your career in an allied health field or build on existing knowledge and experience to progress in your career, earning an Associate of Science in Health Sciences degree will help you reach your educational and professional goals.
As a graduate of this associate degree program, you will be equipped to fulfill a variety of roles within the health care arena. It is designed for people new to or already working in the health care industry who want to grow and advance in their careers, such as:
- Veterans or servicemembers who have received military training but have not yet earned a degree
- Licensed practical nurses or vocational nurses (LPNs or LVNs) looking for program options other than nursing to advance their careers in health care
- Persons working in medical billing, medical coding, and within health insurance organizations.
A Practical Program for Working Adults
If you've already earned college credit at other schools or have completed health care training in the military, we'll help you make the most of your coursework and training to reduce your costs and time to completion. In this flexible program, you will complete your requirements by taking online courses that work with your busy schedule.
Graduates of this degree program may apply all of their associate degree credits toward Excelsior's Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree or up to 50 credits toward the Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management.
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
Health Sciences Associate Credit Requirements
AS in Health Sciences Degree Credit Requirements
The 60-credit Associate in Science in Health Sciences is composed of 30 credits in arts and sciences and 30 credits in health sciences. The health sciences component is made up of nine core requirements, 10 health sciences electives, and a 3-credit capstone.
Upon completion of the health sciences associate degree program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication.
- Apply critical thinking in relation to health care issues.
- Discuss the structure and function of the health care delivery system in the United States.
- Explain the various roles and responsibilities of health professionals.
- Discuss current trends and opportunities in health care.
Pathway Scholarship Health Care Management
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.