Masters Degrees | MS Criminal Justice – Homeland Security, Emergency - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Public Service Programs
Master of Science in Criminal Justice (Homeland Security and Emergency Management)
Master's in Criminal Justice (Homeland Security and Emergency Management)
Criminal justice professionals who can take leadership roles in homeland security will always be in demand.
Prepare yourself to be one of those leaders by earning an online Master of Science in Criminal Justice (Homeland Security and Emergency Management concentration) from Excelsior College.
Designed specifically for working adults—especially criminal justice professionals and adults with a military background—Excelsior's master's in criminal justice enables you to balance your education with work and family commitments.
You'll take all your classes online, whenever you can fit them into your schedule. And you'll also benefit from:
- Generous transfer credit policies - Master of Science in Criminal Justice requires 30 credits regardless of concentration choice. Excelsior offers a generous transfer policy and will allow up to 15 credits in transfer.
- Work/life balance - Excelsior's online criminal justice classes are online 24/7, so you can fit them in comfortably alongside work and family activities.
- Affordability - You can afford to study homeland security and emergency management at Excelsior, thanks to our budget-friendly tuition and student fees.
- Outstanding support - Our award-winning academic advisors provide our students with superior, personalized guidance.
- First rate academics - Excelsior's innovative criminal justice degree programs have a sterling reputation and are well respected by employers.
A Master's Degree for Future Leaders in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security
Our online criminal justice master's degree with a concentration in homeland security and emergency management meets the same high academic benchmarks that govern more traditional MS in criminal justice degree programs. You'll study with highly qualified faculty who are experts or teach in homeland security and emergency management fields across the United States, cultivating advanced expertise in:
- International and domestic terrorism
- Disaster response and mitigation
- Risk assessment in homeland security
- Multicultural issues
- Criminal justice systems and policies
- Criminal justice responses to homeland security
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
MS in Criminal Justice Credit Requirements
MS in Criminal Justice Credit Requirements
The Master of Science in Criminal Justice (MSCJ) program requires 30 credits (semester hours) of interdisciplinary study in criminal justice divided between the core requirements and concentration. All students take 18 credits of core courses which provide students with graduate-level understanding of criminal justice. Students complete 9 credits of courses in the concentration. Students must complete a 3-credit capstone course at the end of the program.
Students who complete the Masters in Criminal Justice will be able to:
- Integrate the evolution of important criminological theories with the development of contemporary criminal justice policy.
- Critique the criminal justice system and its policies through the application of current theory and literature to contemporary issues.
- Gather, analyze, and interpret quantitative and qualitative data in the field of criminal justice and report on findings.
- Interpret the Court's decisions concerning constitutional law as they impact the professionals in the criminal justice system.
- Evaluate the use of ethical theory in the criminal justice system's decision-making process.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.