Bachelors Degrees | Cybersecurity | Operations - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Technology Programs
Program: Technology: BS in Cybersecurity: Cyber Operations Concentration
Bachelor's in Cybersecurity (Cyber Operations)
The Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity (Cyber Operations concentration) program is aligned with the academic requirements for Cybersecurity set by the National Security Agency (NSA) and Department of National Security (DHS). This cybersecurity degree will provide you with specialized skills that can be used on the front lines of cybersecurity operations systems.
The courses in this program will equip you with the knowledge you need to respond effectively to the cyber incidents you will encounter as part of an organization's cybersecurity team. Potential career paths include cybersecurity architecture, cyber operations engineering, and cybersecurity systems operations consulting.
A Flexible and Affordable Cybersecurity (Cyber Operations) Concentration Program
This cybersecurity degree is designed to meet the needs of adult students by enabling you to:
- Earn credit through online classes that work with busy schedules
- Take advantage of affordable tuition, low student fees, and flexible payment plans
- Transfer more of your prior coursework and exam credits earned at accredited institutions
- Receive credit for eligible military training, experience, and professional training
- Get personalized academic guidance and access learning resources and services
This program is designed to provide you with deeply technical interdisciplinary knowledge, and extensive opportunities for hands-on applications through online cybersecurity labs, simulations, and exercises.
By completing this online Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity program and concentrating your studies in cyber operations, you will gain proficiency in career-building skills such as:
- Describing defensive, multi-layer network architecture
- Analyzing technologies and processes that monitor, maintain, and protect institutional data
- Using industry tools to respond appropriately and effectively to cyber incidents
- Creating cybersecurity reports for organizational stakeholders
- Conducting risk and vulnerability assessments of existing and proposed security systems
- Developing and implementing organizational cybersecurity policies and procedures
- Demonstrating your understanding of ethical, social, and cultural responsibilities in the workplace
- Sharing technical information through reports, documentation, and oral presentations
- Committing yourself to pursue professional development and other learning opportunities
- Identifying fundamental security design principles that lead to system vulnerabilities
- Conducting exploits as part of an offensive cyber operation
- Minimizing vulnerabilities in system design, development, and implementation
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
Program: Technology: BS in Cybersecurity Degree Requirements
BS in Cybersecurity Degree Requirements
Minimum of 120 credits: 60 in arts and sciences, 52 in the cybersecurity component with a minimum of 15 at the upper-level, and 8 in free electives including information literacy.
Graduates will be able to:
- Emphasize technologies and techniques related to specialized cybersecurity e.g., collection, exploitation, and response) involved in national security.
- Utilize technologies and processes that continuously monitor, maintain, and protect the national security posture of the United States.
- Utilize an interdisciplinary approach in employing the best sources and expertise for information related to cyber security and threats to national security.
- Detect, analyze and respond to cyber attacks on networks and computer systems that threaten national security.
- Conduct risk and vulnerability assessments of existing and proposed security systems.
- Develop and implement organizational cyber security policies and procedures designed to protect areas involving national security.
- Develop skills that further the goal to broaden the pool of skilled workers capable of supporting a cyber-secure nation.
As an Excelsior College bachelor's level cybersecurity graduate, within a few years of graduation, you are expected to:
- Apply general and discipline specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze and solve problems in the cyber technology discipline.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain technically current with, and adaptive to, changing technologies through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional/industrial environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional/industrial environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business, industry, and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in the cyber technology field.
Pathway Scholarship Cybersecurity
nci info block
National Cybersecurity Institute at Excelsior College
The National Cybersecurity Institute is an academic and research center dedicated to assisting government, industry, military, and academic sectors meet the challenges in cybersecurity policy, technology, and education. The Institute's unique team of cybersecurity experts draws from different industries and organizations who are working together to educate and advise the public and private sectors on today's cybersecurity issues and needs.
Recognition: Technology (with logos)
Recognition for Cybersecurity Programs
The National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security designated Excelsior as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education, a recognition which extends through 2019.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.