BS/MS Cybersecurity - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Technology Programs
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with dual degree option for MS (Cybersecurity)
BS in Information Technology/ MS (Cybersecurity) Dual Degree
Two marketable degrees. Two dynamic industries. One big leap forward for your career.
That's the formula for Excelsior College's online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with dual degree option for MS (Cybersecurity concentration).
A national leader in adult education and workforce development since 1971, Excelsior designs educational solutions for working adults. We provide a superior education in a format that works for busy adults.
Excelsior's flexible online information technology BS / MS dual degree program allows you to:
- Balance school with work and family commitments. You'll take online classes from your own computer at the times that are convenient for you.
- Graduate in less time by satisfying many degree requirements in advance. Excelsior grants maximum transfer credit for approved courses from other accredited colleges, military programs, and industry-accredited training programs.
- Save money by taking advantage of Excelsior's reasonable tuition and flexible payment plans.
A Cybersecurity Master's Degree Pays Big Career Dividends
As a nonprofit, accredited college, Excelsior upholds high academic standards. We developed our cybersecurity master's degree program in conjunction with industry leaders, and all course materials are constantly reviewed and revised to ensure they reflect the most current best practices.
You'll work with accomplished professors who have years of cybersecurity experience, gaining practical expertise in areas such as:
- IT risk assessment
- Information assurance
- Communication security
- Project management
- Digital crime and cyber attacks
- Ethical and legal issues in cybersecurity
Demand for cybersecurity leaders exists in nearly every industry, including government, so a cybersecurity master's degree can provide a huge boost to your career and income potential.
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
BS / MS Information Technology Degree Credit Requirements
BS / MS Information Technology Degree Credit Requirements
The BSIT/MS program requires a total of 151 credits. Students are awarded their bachelor's degree by completing 60 credits in the arts and sciences component, 48 credits in the information technology component, and 10 credits in the additional credit component. Students achieve graduate status after completion of the 6-credit bridge component. The 27-credit graduate course component completes the master's degree requirements.
- Apply knowledge of computing and mathematics for problem solving in the field of information technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze user needs to define and create appropriate computing requirements and solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively select, evaluate, and integrate information technologies based solutions in a user environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to participate effectively in groups or team projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand professional, ethical and social responsibilities, including the impacts of culture, diversity, and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communicating technical information in formal reports, documentation, and presentations to users and information technology professionals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze the impacts of information technologies and computing on public, organizations, and individuals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and apply current and emerging technologies and tools for information technologies solutions.
- Demonstrate expertise in the core information technologies such as database management, information management and security, object oriented programming, computer architecture, systems architecture, operating systems, and networking.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze computing and information security requirements and risks, and apply the appropriate tools and techniques to protect organizational data assets in an ethically responsible manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply best practices and standards for information technology applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in the creation and execution of an effective project plan.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development and to continue to engage in lifelong learning.
Upon successful completion of the Excelsior College MS program, graduates will be able to:
- Analyze real-world business problems and generate recommendations for action.
- Integrate accounting, marketing, finance, management and economics into a strategic business analysis.
- Assess the impact of the global business environment on business situations.
- Apply quantitative methods to analysis of business situations.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business and society.
- Communicate effectively to relevant audiences in written materials.
- Collaborate in teams to produce required deliverables.
- Apply Project Management skills to business situations.
- Assess the ethical implications of actions for diverse stakeholders.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply general and discipline-specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze, and solve technical problems in the information technology discipline.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain technically current with, and adaptive to, changing technologies through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional/industrial environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional/industrial environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business, industry, and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in the information technology field.
nci info block
National Cybersecurity Institute at Excelsior College
The National Cybersecurity Institute is an academic and research center dedicated to assisting government, industry, military, and academic sectors meet the challenges in cybersecurity policy, technology, and education. The Institute's unique team of cybersecurity experts draws from different industries and organizations who are working together to educate and advise the public and private sectors on today's cybersecurity issues and needs.
Recognition: Technology (with logos)
Recognition for Cybersecurity Programs
The National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security designated Excelsior as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education, a recognition which extends through 2019.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.