Bachelors Degrees | Information Technology, IT | Network Operations - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Technology Programs
Program: BS in Information Technology: Network Operations Concentration
Bachelor's in Information Technology (Network Operations Concentration)
Network operations expertise is more important than ever in today's economy—and so are network operations credentials.
At Excelsior College, you can get the credential you need on your own terms. Our online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Network Operations concentration) is a career-building degree designed for working adults who have busy lives.
A national leader in distance learning and adult education, Excelsior offers online IT classes that you take at your own convenience, with no disruption to job or family commitments. In addition, our bachelor's IT degree program is perfect for working adults because:
- It's affordable. Excelsior's reasonable tuition and flexible payment plans keep an information technology bachelor's degree within reach of almost any budget.
- It can be completed quickly. We grant maximum transfer credit for approved college coursework, as well as academic credit for eligible military and professional training. You'll need fewer courses, and less time, to earn your IT degree.
- It develops marketable skills. Excelsior's online IT degree provides a practical education that translates directly to the workplace. You'll gain the expertise employers are looking for with a degree from a well-known and well-respected institution.
A Flexible, Convenient Way to Earn an Information Technology Degree
Our online IT bachelor's degree program complies with the same high academic standards that govern traditional IT degrees at on-site colleges. You'll study with experienced professors who have many years of experience in network operations.
By specializing in network operations, you'll gain job-ready expertise in such subjects as:
- Network systems design
- Wireless networking technology
- Network operating systems
- Project management
Accreditation: Technology: ABET: Computing Accreditation Commission
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. ABET is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Program: Technology: BS in Information Technology Degree Requirements
BS in Information Technology Degree Requirements
Minimum of 120 credits: 60 in arts and sciences, 48 in the technology component, and 12 in free electives including information literacy.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of computing and mathematics for problem solving in the field of information technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze user needs to define and create appropriate computing requirements and solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively select, evaluate, and integrate information technologies based solutions in a user environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to participate effectively in groups or team projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand professional, ethical, and social responsibilities, including the impacts of culture, diversity, and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communicating technical information in formal reports, documentation, and presentations to users and information technology professionals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze the impacts of information technologies and computing on individuals, organizations, society, and the global community.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and apply current and emerging technologies and tools for information technologies solutions.
- Demonstrate expertise in the core information technologies, including web technologies, database management and security, object-oriented programming, computer architecture, systems architecture, operating systems, networking, and system administration.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze computing and information security requirements and risks, and apply the appropriate tools and techniques to protect organizational data assets in an ethically responsible manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply best practices and standards for information technology applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in the creation and execution of an effective project plan.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development and to continue to engage in lifelong learning.
Review more student learning outcomes
As an Excelsior College bachelor's level information technology graduate, within a few years of graduation, you are expected to:
- Apply general and discipline specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze and solve problems in the information technology discipline.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain technically current with, and adaptive to, changing technologies through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional/industrial environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional/industrial environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business, industry, and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in the information technology field.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.