Recognition of Accredited Institutions

Statement of Policy

Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Degree-level credit from any degree-granting college or university accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies may be applied toward Excelsior College degrees. To verify the accreditation status of all postsecondary institutions, Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Excelsior College refers to the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education manual published for the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Additional verification from a specific institution will be required if the student attended prior to its accreditation.

If an institution holds regional accreditation candidacy status but was not yet regionally accredited when the student completed their credits (yet held national accreditation) credit will be considered under the policy Transferring Credit From Non-Regionally Accredited Schools.

Excelsior College reserves the right to accept or deny credit from any specific institution or program.

Regional Accrediting Organizations:

New York State Registered and Chartered Colleges

Transcripts will also be accepted from higher education institutions within New York State that are authorized by the New York State Board of Regents to award college degrees and whose programs are registered by the New York State Education Department.

Courses required for Associate in Occupational Studies and Associate in Applied Science degree programs at proprietary schools in New York State are acceptable. The College and University Campuses in New York State directory is used to verify the degree-granting status of schools in New York State.

Excelsior College will award upper-level credit for courses taught at a two-year college if the college (e.g., SUNY Cobleskill) is approved to award bachelor’s degrees.

Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) Accredited Institutions

College-level credit from any degree-granting institution accredited by the DETC that also has been approved and recommended by the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE Credit) or the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) will be applicable. (See Transferring Credit From Non-Regionally Accredited Schools.)